Visually Observing Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J_Flint

Reaction score
I know that generally you should check SG to determine if beer is still actively fermenting. I usually do, but I brewed a small batch the other day (2.25g) and threw it into a 5g carboy. The batch became active the next morning, was at high kraeusen that afternoon, and then to my surprise the kraeusen had dropped by the very next morning. WLP002 fermented in controlled fridge at 68 degrees. 1.053 OG.

I stole a sample and checked the gravity and was not so surprised to find it sitting at 1.020. There was still some activity, currents/churning, but much slower compared to the previous afternoon. Today it appears to be mostly settling. I can actually see the small particles sinking out of solution.

Anyway my question is: how much information can be gathered by observing the activity in a clear fermentor? I usually ferment in stainless steel so it's truly just my curiosity getting the better of me at this point.

The way I figured is even after the kraeusen falls the SG may yet fall a few more points.

I like to ferment in clear carboys simply for this reason. How much information do I get from it? Hardly anything. I've noticed krausen presence is oftentimes a matter of the yeast strain - some produce small, short-lived krausens, others huge krausens that don't seem to go away. The yeast will keep fermenting until it stops - no other way to explain it than that.

I guess to clarify I am wondering if one could ascertain whether or not fermentation is ongoing based on looking at the beer in the fermentor. The currents and churning are obviously indicitave of yeast activity, but when things settle down visually, does this mean the yeast have stopped fermenting?

I guess to clarify I am wondering if one could ascertain whether or not fermentation is ongoing based on looking at the beer in the fermentor. The currents and churning are obviously indicitave of yeast activity, but when things settle down visually, does this mean the yeast have stopped fermenting?
Nope. When I bottle my beer with priming sugar, it doesn't cloud back up but it still ferments out that added sugar. Yeast can be sneaky buggers when they want to be.

I definitely prefer clear vessels (Fermonsters).

• Visually you can tell whether it's actively fermenting because it's cloudy and you can see the CO2 evolution.
  • You can tell how clear the beer (or wine) is after fermentation completes.
  • You can see the amount of sediment and how close it is to the spigot.
  • It's easier to detect leaks.
  • You can see pellicle formation.
  • You can see when it's safe to switch to an airlock vs blow-off tube.
  • It's interesting to watch. :)

6romm.jpg

...6.5 gallon italian glass fermenters thrashing about...

Cheers! :D

Visually, you can tell if it's actively fermenting. But you can't tell for sure if it's no longer fermenting. Fermentation is not always visible as it slows down. That's the simple answer.

Visually, you can tell if it's actively fermenting. But you can't tell for sure if it's no longer fermenting. Fermentation is not always visible as it slows down. That's the simple answer.
Got it, precisely what I was thinking. I transferred my pale ale to a secondary vessel to allow easier sample taking. As I had expected SG dropped to 1.015. I suspect its reached terminal gravity but will allow a couple more days before cold crashing. I hate taking samples of such a small batch, but I'm glad I snagged one more. Hot damn, it was good! Lol.

Last edited:
fwiw, a refractometer uses just a few drops of your precious brew and will tell you fermentation is complete (stable FG-wise) just as readily as most hydrometers, via successive tests...

Cheers!

A little on the sweeter side, but I think it will be near perfect with some assertive spritziness. I normally carb to more english standards, so somebody tell me, will a little extra carbonation give an impression of dryness? I also thought about adding a touch more gypsum.

Beer has about 30 IBU. Water profile is something like: 71ppm sulfate, 55 ppm chloride, 10ppm sodium.

Any suggestions for adjusting the flavor post fermentation?

fwiw, a refractometer uses just a few drops of your precious brew and will tell you fermentation is complete (stable FG-wise) just as readily as most hydrometers, via successive tests...

Cheers!

Ehh, I have one, but it never seems to give a consistent value. I dont quite trust it. Been meaning to test it between different wort compositions as it never EVER lines up with my hydrometer.

Experience may matter. I've done repeated comparisons between my hydro and refract using different adjustment calculators for the latter and except for one recipe they're typically within a point of each other (and no way to know for certain which one is "right").
'Course I should add I rarely even bother with either anymore.

Anyway...wrt making adjustments to your brew, it's a little early to be judgmental, eh? :D
How many days does it have under it's belt at this point?
Having the yeast and trub drop out will smooth any character and then carbonation will provide the expected bite...

Cheers!

Experience may matter. I've done repeated comparisons between my hydro and refract using different adjustment calculators for the latter and except for one recipe they're typically within a point of each other (and no way to know for certain which one is "right").
'Course I should add I rarely even bother with either anymore.

Anyway...wrt making adjustments to your brew, it's a little early to be judgmental, eh? :D
How many days does it have under it's belt at this point?
Having the yeast and trub drop out will smooth any character and then carbonation will provide the expected bite...

Cheers!
Yeah a wee bit early hah, but I like to torture myself and expect the worst. I normally turn around my weaker ales in about 10-12 days though. Been 5 days on this one. I figure ill crash it down in around 48 hours and keg it.

Ehh, I have one, but it never seems to give a consistent value. I dont quite trust it. Been meaning to test it between different wort compositions as it never EVER lines up with my hydrometer.
It will never be completely accurate telling you what your ABV is, but as long as your refractometer is consistent with itself, it will tell you if gravity is still dropping.

It will never be completely accurate telling you what your ABV is, but as long as your refractometer is consistent with itself, it will tell you if gravity is still dropping.
I am well aware of this. I may have been unclear. My refractometer does seem to have consistency issues. I can take several readings of the same wort and in some (not all) cases it will yield a slightly different reading. I am going to try and get it figured out one of these days, but I think its just a cheap trinket.

My refractometer does seem to have consistency issues. I can take several readings of the same wort and in some (not all) cases it will yield a slightly different reading.
Are you keeping the refractometer at a consistent temperature?

Is it possible some if your sample is evaporating (making it more concentrated)?

Are you keeping the refractometer at a consistent temperature?

Is it possible some if your sample is evaporating (making it more concentrated)?
Evaporating off of the sample plate on the device, or evaporating from...? I really dont think so. And between readings the device is always just kept wherever I am brewing, almost exclusively in my basement which stays a pretty consistent 60 degrees. I usually check calibration with some water before doing anything with it.

So the only fluctuations in temperature might be from my basement getting a bit warmer from brewing, but at that point I would be calibrating and taking readings at the warmer temperature....that got long winded.

Getting back to the clear fermenters question, I use the activity and krausen as a sign of how far along the beer is. Although every yeast is different ,after a couple of fermentations you should be able to tell about where it is. I use this observation for my step fermentations with the low temperature ale yeasts,and also when to dry hop a Keviek fermented beer,and still achieve bio transformation. Lagers are another animal and are hard to do this way,but I'll get there eventually.

I like clear fermenters. Mine are Better Bottles. I can see that fermentation has started. I never take a gravity reading before day 14. And then, if the gravity is within a couple points of the predicted FG, I go ahead with bottling or kegging. I have only had one stalled batch in my 109 beers.​

I like clear fermenters. Mine are Better Bottles. I can see that fermentation has started. I never take a gravity reading before day 14. And then, if the gravity is within a couple points of the predicted FG, I go ahead with bottling or kegging. I have only had one stalled batch in my 109 beers.​
I rarely ferment in clear vessels but I will say it's neat to watch. I can't believe some of you guys wait so long to check on things. I don't think I've ever left an ale in primary more than 10 or 12 days. I usually give 3-7 days for fermentation, another couple for conditioning/clean up, then crash and keg.

It is neat watching the fermentation churn inside a clear fermenter. I have a couple carboys , but I rarely use them . I'll tell you what though , as much as I like seeing the action of a good fermentation I love looking at my Cf5 . It's so sexy I had to install red lights and put a curtain in front of it . Just drop some quarters and the curtain comes up for quick peek lol! Maybe I should set up a baby cam so I can see it anytime haha.

It is neat watching the fermentation churn inside a clear fermenter. I have a couple carboys , but I rarely use them . I'll tell you what though , as much as I like seeing the action of a good fermentation I love looking at my Cf5 . It's so sexy I had to install red lights and put a curtain in front of it . Just drop some quarters and the curtain comes up for quick peek lol! Maybe I should set up a baby cam so I can see it anytime haha.

It's a shame that Spike doesn't use Glow in the dark paint for their logo on their fermenters.

I rarely ferment in clear vessels but I will say it's neat to watch. I can't believe some of you guys wait so long to check on things. I don't think I've ever left an ale in primary more than 10 or 12 days. I usually give 3-7 days for fermentation, another couple for conditioning/clean up, then crash and keg.

If you are bottling you are playing with fire going only 10 days. I have had a few that were still actively fermenting on day 10. Kegging is safe though. It also depends on style of beer. A stout or other heavy beer would not be so good at only 2 weeks. I had a couple that didn't reach the peak of flavor for 6 months or so. Of course that was bottle conditioning more than fermentation.

I figure most are done by day 10 then wait another 4 days just to be sure. I also only take one FG reading. If it is within a couple points of predicted I proceed to packaging. I am not in such a rush. And then there is procrastination.

If you are bottling you are playing with fire going only 10 days.
Not necessarily. My last beer (a hefeweizen) I bottled on day 4, after I missed my spunding gravity. I routinely bottle beers 3-5 days after brewing, even sour beers. Then they carbonate in another 2-3 days and are ready to drink.

It depends entirely on your process.

Not necessarily. My last beer (a hefeweizen) I bottled on day 4, after I missed my spunding gravity. I routinely bottle beers 3-5 days after brewing, even sour beers. Then they carbonate in another 2-3 days and are ready to drink.

Are you adding priming sugar? Or simply finishing primary fermentation in the bottle?

Are you adding priming sugar? Or simply finishing primary fermentation in the bottle?
My goal was to finish fermentation in the bottle (spund), but it fermented too quickly and I missed my chance. I think it finished in less than 48 hours by the look of it.

I ended up priming the fermenter with sugar, waiting 15 minutes, and then bottling straight from there.

Since you say that you missed your spunding gravity I assume you measured it. This thread was started about using visual clues for determining when it is finished fermenting.

I have had one stalled fermentation and some that were slow. They definitely took longer than 3 days. I have never spunded any and would disagree that a beer would be ready to drink in 5 - 8 days. When I bottle (batch primed) I have tasted most of them at 2 weeks some were fully carbonated some were not. But, IMO, ALL of my beers have tasted better at 3 weeks or longer, some heavy beers have taken much longer.

And I would say that my process is pretty normal.

Since you say that you missed your spunding gravity I assume you measured it. This thread was started about using visual clues for determining when it is finished fermenting.

I have had one stalled fermentation and some that were slow. They definitely took longer than 3 days. I have never spunded any and would disagree that a beer would be ready to drink in 5 - 8 days. When I bottle (batch primed) I have tasted most of them at 2 weeks some were fully carbonated some were not. But, IMO, ALL of my beers have tasted better at 3 weeks or longer, some heavy beers have taken much longer.

That's your experience based on your process.

I'm giving my experience based on my process. We can both be right. ;)

I'm certainly not using the visual clues as the only source of information, but it does provide some useful information that I listed above. I would not use it as the sole method of determining a beer is finished fermenting.

I would disagree that a beer would be ready to drink in 5 - 8 days.

I've made plenty of batches that we're ready to drink in that time frame. I busted out Orfy's Mild in 7 days. That beer was fantastic. I bottled some, but the majority was kegged and gone in 3 weeks. The bottles were opened a couple weeks later and much less fantastic than when they were young. It really just depends on the beer.

And there is no such thing as normal here. Everyone will do what suits them best and if it works, more power to you. :D

Now guys , I'll be the judge to tell if a beer can be done in that short of time . I'll pm you my address for you to send them to lol;)

Back