Visiting San Antonio this September

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndytheBeave

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am heading to San Antonio this September. Does anyone have any advice for some good brew pubs to visit? What other beer related tourist attractions should I check out while I am in the area?

There are a couple. Do your research on when they are open and if you can hit them.

Breweries/Brewpub

Freetails, Busted Sandle, Ranger creek (distillery too), Branchline, Blue star, 5 Stones (do not know if they have a taproom). There might be more, thats all i can think of on top of my head. While you are there.

Bars:
Flying Saucer, The friendly spot, big hops, the esquire (near the riverwalk)

There is more just have to do a little research.

Great list by DisturbdChemist. I think that if you want to sample a ton of good beers from Texas The Cove has a good outside bar that only has Texas beers on tap. Its a little bit overpriced but if you're only visiting once then so what. For what its worth Blue star has great location and mediocre beers but plenty to walk around at. I would recommend that place to my friends just because you can park and walk to art galleries and other bars nearby. I know mother always said if you cant say anything nice don't say it at all but for what its worth Freetail is my least favorite brewery in town. After 4 years of intermittently trying their beer they have yet to brew a beer that I even remotely liked.

Enjoy San Antonio. PM me if you want additional advice.

If you're coming that far, you might as well visit Jester King. It's about 1 1/2 north. The best beers can only be bought onsite.

Awesome. Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like there are tons of great options. I haven't been down to the States in a few years so I am pretty stoked.

I was in San Antonio last September and tried Blue Star. The lagers and Sours where pretty good but the IPA/Pale's where not as hoppy as I'm used to here in the Northwest. The hotel beer selection sucked as expected. Ended up finding some Austin brewed offerings in a Mexican food restaurant on the river. Can't remember the name of the restaurant, but I do remember Jester King being a couple that I had. Yep the beer and tequila was that good.....

BTW my home state could use a lot more craft breweries.

Back