Visiting NYC.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

autobaun70

Reaction score
my wife & I are looking into visiting NYC this coming summer. This vacation will sort of be a 2 part deal, starting in NYC for a Sunday - Thursday, then heading to NJ for a wedding. Because of this and also needing to get back to SC on the day following the wedding, it is appear that taking a car is going to be a necessity. We are looking for reasonably priced accommodations with reasonably priced parking on site, or close by. We will primarily be doing the typical tourist thing, visiting the major landmarks (World Trade Memorial, Broadway, ect.), and would like to stay somewhere convenient to these. Primarily we don't want it to be a 2 hour ordeal to get back to our hotel after a night out. What would you all suggest?

One of the most conveniently located hotels, which used to have reasonable room rates is the Roosevelt. Its in Midtown so Broadway (the theator district) is closeish. The nice part is that Grand Central is about a block away, so getting to Ground Zero or downtown will cost you $2.25 on the subway rather than $20+ via cab and take less time. That would be my recommendation, having not done that sort of research in a while.

Bobby is right. Lots of hotels have sprung up in Brooklyn also, but parts of NJ are even closer. Not to mention, you will pay to park in Manhattan, while most hotels outside of the city still provide free or very cheap parking. You will save a lot of good beer money by staying outside of Manhattan, with public transportation still being an option.

Well what I mean is, even if you want to shack up in NYC for a couple nights, I'd recommend using the subway to get around. That let's you park just about anywhere in NJ in short walking distance to a train station. Let's be clear, there is no such thing as reasonable parking in Manhattan. What town is the wedding in, in NJ?

Completely agree with Bobby on this one. Unless you've got extra money to burn leave the car in New Jersey. Also, I don't mean to be disrespectful but there is big difference from driving in South Carolina to NYC. They will eat you alive. For your sanity and your wife's, take the subway and public transportation.

To be clear, I have absolutely no plan to go place to place in NYC by car, but have no choice but to take a car to get there due to our schedule. I will plan entry in and out to not coincide with rush hour. My hold up on the train or other transportation to get into the city is my wife's packing style. Dragging her 4 or 5 bags from where we park to the hotel just isn't realistic, nor is her packing lighter. I realize that I will probably pay significant $'s to park there, but it is basically a necessity.

I think we have decided to hit DC on the way up to break up the drive, and hit some much less expensive attractions, and then do 3 nights in NYC.

If someone knows a way around the whole baggage issue, ect, I'm all ears, but I would rather pay a bit more than deal with a huge pain in the butt.

>>NJ

I'm so sorry. What part? I grew up (22 years) in South NJ (Millville) and vowed to never return for any reason. So far I have kept that promise lol.

While you are in NY do yourself a huge favor and visit China Town. There is nothing like it, and if you like chinese food you have GOT to eat there. It looks scary (being in underground places with weird things hanging all over) but I have never had better chinese in my life, and never had better duck either.

Depending on your budget, you might find it easier to stay in a hotel somewhere along the NJ transit lines in NJ and take the train in every day. You'd probably save $200 a night and then the train fare would offset the parking you'd pay in the city.

It's logistically challenging to find the right spot, but so is finding public parking anywhere near any hotel.

Have you ever driven in Manhattan? If not, you don't want to start now. I'll bet you $1000 that you will have the biggest blow out argument with your wife that you ever had, twice.

That was my point. I don't understand the thing abou the luggage. Any hotel in NJ will porter your luggage to your room from the lobby as you park your car.

Unless you need a biga$$ suitcase in Times Square for some reason ;)

Depending on your budget, you might find it easier to stay in a hotel somewhere along the NJ transit lines in NJ and take the train in every day. You'd probably save $200 a night and then the train fare would offset the parking you'd pay in the city.

It's logistically challenging to find the right spot, but so is finding public parking anywhere near any hotel.

Have you ever driven in Manhattan? If not, you don't want to start now. I'll bet you $1000 that you will have the biggest blow out argument with your wife that you ever had, twice.

this ^ and you can expect to pay $50-$75 per day for parking without 'in and out' privileges at any NYC hotel.

I think we have decided to hit DC on the way up to break up the drive, and hit some much less expensive attractions, and then do 3 nights in NYC.

...and if you end up going to DC and want any suggestions/recommendations, just let me know or shoot me a PM

cheers

...and if you end up going to DC and want any suggestions/recommendations, just let me know or shoot me a PM

cheers

Know of any brewpubs or craft brew bars in DC or Falls Church area? My uncle was stationed in & around DC 5 different times during his military career, and I visited many times, so fortunately I know my way around fairly well.

Back