visiting montreal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cd2448

Reaction score
hi, i will be working in montreal for the next two weeks, does anyone have any local brewery or food recommendations?

thanks!

YEA! First Montreal Completely Rocks. We have an office up there. Where will you be staying? Montreal is a really metropolitan city but everyone smokes. Much much more than in the US. Pretty much anywhere you go that is down on the waterfront is going to have great food. You should go to Brutopia - great food and great brews. Plan on staying out late.

Montreal is a really good place to be. I'll be heading back up next Sunday for school. There are several places that are "Must tries" as far as I'm concerned. Smoking is illegal in bars, only really seedy places will have smoke rooms in the back.

JVD X mentioned Brutopia is on Crescent street, which has alot of other bars that are...meh... Brutopia brews their own and I've never had a bad time drinking there. Whatever you do DON'T go there on a Monday, they have live music every night except Monday's when they do trivia competitions or whatever, the guy running the thing thinks he's an MC at the academy awards or that he's Dane Cook or something. Their live music is usually good.

Next, give Benelux a shot. It's located at Sherbrooke and Jeanne-Mance. If you're feeling like taking it light on the wallet hit it on a Wednesday night because that is two for one pint night (still 7.75, ouch) but these coming weeks it will be PACKED as we are all coming back to school (woohoo!) No clue what they have on tap right now, they brew all their beers and its alot of fun.

If you fail to hit either of those, a must go to bar is Dieu du Ciel. This bar will be less swamped with students because it is away from the downtown area. They have awesome beers, huge selection, and everything is fairly strong! You cannot miss this bar! Dieu du Ciel!

Some people recommend Les Trois Brasseurs. Its a chain, its all over the city, I've always had a "meh" experience there....

hmmm... I'm missing a few.... There are plenty of places on Crescent and St. Laurent and all the way up and down St. Denis (a great place for food is L'Academie, on St. Denis, BYOB) that have decent beer and good atmosphere, but expect ALOT of drunk kids at anywhere popular for the next week because McGill Frosh will be going on, as well as regular back to school shenanigans. Down by the waterfront will be alot less crazy as it's a trek and its expensive. Very expensive. I'll be willing to chip in more advice if you want! Have a blast!

They are putting me up in the Intercontinental - I don't know where that it is relative to everything but I understand the city is walkable or use the metro to get about. Thanks for your tips! We found brutopia on the net, but nothing beats a personal recommendation from a few HBT folks. I've been to a couple of well dodgy brew-their-own spots.

Just a quick update in case anyone else gets to visit Montreal and goes to the trouble of a search...

We hit Brutopia which we liked, and I went to Les Trois Brassuers a couple of times, liked the Rousse/Red ale but the others not so much. We also went to L'Amère à boire which was tasty beer but they seemed a bit confused about style descriptions (could have been lost in the translation, maybe!).

Overall a great place to go, great food (not so much the beer places, but plenty of good eating), lots of micro brew availability - didn't see a bottle of Labatts or Molson the whole two weeks - and everyone seemed to speak english (my french being rubbish).

Back