Violet Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fletch78

Reaction score
I read a recipe from 1982 that called for 2 cups flowers for 1 gallon. That seems kind of light to me. Has anyone had any personal experience with violets in wine?

There are 1.21 jigamillion in the yard right now and I'm about to start picking for a sweet wine.

Along with my Kitchen Sink Show mead... and my cider... and my dandelion wine... and a damn stout to bottle... and a house to move this weekend... and another Terrapin Wake-n-Bake to start....and some bottle-bomb cysers pasteurizing in the kettle right now.... lots of projects on deck.

Recipe is here: http://www.kinkeadridge.com/htm/violet.htm (i will use nutrients and some kind of tannin [raisins, oak, whatever] as well)

I've only worked with beer and dried flowers. Typically you're talking a gram or two per pint.

Yeah, but all the dandelion wine literature I've read calls for much more copious amounts of dandelions, up to a gallon of flowers for a gallon of wine. I think I'm just going to pick as many as I can (violets) and go with that.

I've never tried violet wine. I've tried violet candy though & I thought it tasted like soap. I hope your violet wine tastes better than that candy. Regards, GF.

i've made violet wine using a whole gallon of fresh violet flowers and about 3 pounds of beet sugar per gallon. It comes out sweet and with a delightful taste.

Back