Vintage hop AA%

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolts

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sorting through my pile of hops in the freezer trying to figure out what year's crop they are from. Does anyone have historical data on the AA% for a given year? The hops in question are Freshops brand. I think they are mostly '09 with maybe some '08.

...my next question is -- at what point is it appropriate give up on old hops and start aging them for a lambic? I keep them stored in vacuum sealed bags in the freezer.

Citra
AA - 11.0%

Cascade
AA - 7.0%

Mt. Hood
AA - 4.6%

Magnum
AA - 15%

If the hops are vacuum sealed and in the freezer, they will lose about 10-15% of their bittering potential every year. The curve isn't exactly linear, but that's a pretty good approximation.

The temp has a lot to do with it, too.

example:

Hops that were 10% AA originally, vacuum sealed and stored at 0*F, will have an effective AA of about 6.9% after 3 years.

Same hops stored at 20*F will have an effective AA of about 5.3% after three years.

Same hops stored at 70*F will have an effective AA of about 1% after three years.

Thanks for the info Walker -- you're getting to my next task of figuring out what AA% is left in them.

Right now i'm really just trying to figure out what year these hops are. The theory being that each years hops have a different AA% .... and if I could find that, I could figure out if I have '08 or '09 hops :)

i don't know that you'll be able to sort out the year by looking at AA. The farm they came form will be another factor.

I have citra hops in the freezer, both are last year's harvest, and not all of the bags have the same AA.

Back