Vino Italiano Gewurztraminer Question About Backsweetening

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianh0669

Reaction score
So I've made a few of the Vino Italiano kits and have been pleased with them with a few tweeks. Going to be bottling the Gewerz in about 6 weeks. A the last racking, I noticed it to be a bit dryer than your typical G. I have heard this about this particular kit so not shocked. I would like to backsweeten just a bit to smooth it out a little. I read somewhere before someone used Welches White Grape concentrate and were happy with the results but cannot seem to find the link anymore. Anyone think this might be the way to go vs simple sugar or possibly any other suggestions? Not expecting a great wine as I know the limits of the Vino Italiano kits. Thanks in advance.

I prefure the juice method of backsweetening. I just thaw the juice and add to tast. Going lighter then you think. Easy to add more later, not possible to take it out! I think the fruit juice adds to the depth of the wine. As well as bringing back some of the fruity flavor that gets lost during fermentaion.
Most just use a simple syrup. Take white suger and heat in water untill disolved. Use this to sweeten to tast. Adds no additinal flavor. No mater what sweetner you use some of the flavor of the wine will be brought forward. Sweetening does that.
Pull a sample and sweeten to tast using both methods. This way you can compare the flavors.
Remember to clear the wine and add sorbate and sulfa before sweetening!

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Back