Vinnie from Russian River interview along with Temptation clone from Vinnie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boralyl

Reaction score
I was reading some blogs today and came across this link. Vinnie talks a little bit about sours and gives a Santification clone recipe. It is as follows:

85% 2-row Malt
5% Vienna Malt
5% Wheat Malt
5% Acidulated Malt

OG: 1.058
TG: 1.006-1.010
ABV: 6.25%
BU’s: 25ish

Hops:
Styrian Golding 90 minute – beginning of boil
Sterling 15 minutes to go in boil

The yeast is a mix of Brettanomyces and bacteria’s.
50% Brett Brux.
10% Brett Claus.
10% Brett Lambicus
30% Russian River Brewing “Funky Bunch” house yeast culture- mix of Brett, Lacto, Pedio, & other wild yeast

The RRBC house culture we call the “Funky Bunch” could be cultured from a bottle of Beatification.

You’ll see a long lag phase at the start of fermentation and then a slowing of fermentation when it gets to 1.020, from there it has to sit for a couple of months before it gets down to the gravity listed above. Depending on if you bottle or not you will need to make a decision on the final gravity. If you do bottle it has to be bottled at 1.010 or so, but, not above that or the bottles will over carbonate and the bottles might explode.

Thanks for reading the website, just wanted to clarify that it is Sanctification and not Temptation

This is the clone of Temptation I made. Turned out pretty damn close after 1.5 yrs.

I used a split bottle of Cakebread Chardonnay and aged it on french oak for 6 months. I added it to the beer at the one year mark.

Ingredients:
1.0 oz Sterling (7.5%) - added during boil, boiled 75.0 min
0.5 oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 40.0 min
0.25 oz Styrian Goldings (6.0%) - added during boil, boiled 20.0 min
10.0 lb Belgian Pils
2.0 lb Wheat Flaked
1.0 L WYeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity
1.0 L WYeast 3112 Brettanomyces Bruxellensis
1.0 L WYeast 4733 Pediococcus Cerevisiae
1.0 L WYeast 4335 Lactobacillus Delbrueckii

Cheers!

I used a split bottle of Cakebread Chardonnay and aged it on french oak for 6 months. I added it to the beer at the one year mark.

Funny you choose Cakebread. Both of the barrels I have are from their Reserve Chardonnay. A friend of mine used to work there and he scored both barrels right after they racked and bottled the wine. The barrels have imparted a nice background of white wine.

BW

I actually follow your blog from time to time, but never knew you had their Reserva barrels! If I lived in Cali, I would have a whole barrel room going.

As far as the beer goes, the wine did give mine a nice white wine flavor at the end. Wasn't crazy acidic but very balanced.

Btw, I think its funny a majority of the people that post in this group, also post on BBB.

Btw, I think its funny a majority of the people that post in this group, also post on BBB.

Interesting to see the responses for each site.

All of my beers got down to 3.4pH with loads of lacto and pedio. I was wondering what, if any, affect the malolactic might have had from the white wine. My friend said the barrels were steamed and ozoned before shipping. I am not sure, but that might have killed off the ML.

Cheers,
BW

As for the blog, I am not much of a blogger, just seemed like an easy way to share pictures with folks.

Back