Vinegary First Ferment

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

saltydog77

Reaction score
Due to overproducing my first ever bucha - 4 gallons, I let the next first ferment go on because I hadnt consumed all the first batch. Needless to say the longer ferment time has resulted in a very tart almost vinegar first ferment. I like a tart second ferment, but I wonder if I let the first ferment go on too long.

I thought about just going for the second ferment anyway. What could go wrong? I've read that if a first ferment batch goes for a long period the ratio of bacteria to yeast gets out of balance. Is this true to the point it will cause a problem? If so how can I restore the balance?

Given the above would I just be better off using this first ferment as a strong starter tea and just add more sweet tea and just reset?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
I had a primary go for 8 weeks and the scoby was 2" thick and very vinegary. I bottled with 1.5 x more sugar and twice the ginger. I'll try to get back here in 5-7 days and let you know how it tastes and if it carbed up.

rushpapers

Son-of-a-Booch
Reaction score
Save the over-fermented batch for mixing with a younger ferment. You can mix it with an under-fermented batch for a quick turnaround. All you have to do is taste it after mixing, until it is to your liking. You can actually use stuff that's fermented 3-6 months to make kombucha in 48 hours, then force carb 72 hours and serve. That's a 5 day turnaround.

Latest posts