Vinegar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SagamoreAle

Reaction score
Anybody ever use vinegar for sanitation?

I've never heard of it. It's a common household sanitizer. I'm wondering if it has any value in home winemaking and homebrewing.

I guess a big part of the answer has to do with how much of the vinegar-producing bad guys remain.

Just wondering if people have any thoughts or experience with it.

The problem with acetic acid (vinegar) is that it stinks. Phosphoric acid doesn't stink, and furthermore when you dilute it you're left with phosphate which is a yeast nutrient.

This is why Star San is such a great product, it's basically phosphoric acid with a little bit of surfactant to help it along.

So many people try to skimp on sanitizer, and I don't know why. It's one of the cheapest parts of homebrewing, and it's also one of the most important, but easiest, to get right. Just grab some Star San.

FWIW adding a little vinegar to a water/bleach sanitizing mixture lowers the PH and makes it much more effective.

Never add vinegar directly to bleach.

Never use bleach/water on stainless.

Rich

Back