Vinegar smell on faucet cap/brush

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Pointyskull

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I recently kegged a Leffe Blonde clone, and while the beer tastes great I am getting a vinegar-ish smell on the tapper faucet cap/brush when I take it out to pour a glass.
I have never come across this before, and tap lines are cleaned regularly.

Wash the cap/brush and replace - and the smell returns within a day or so.

It's not impacting the beer flavor - but I'm curious what could be causing the smell on the faucet cap/brush.

VikeMan

It ain't all burritos and strippers, my friend.
Reaction score
It's not impacting the beer flavor - but I'm curious what could be causing the smell on the faucet cap/brush.
Probably Acetic Acid from Acetobacter. Have you seen any fruit flies around?

TkmLinus

Reaction score
No fruit flies evident anywhere. It's weird, seemingly.
I had that happen when I was using a brush/cap combo, then I switched to a cap only and haven't had the problem since. Look up "Beer faucet cover cap" That fixed the problem.
1634933238610.png

Knightshade

Which way is up again??
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I spray my brushes with a shot of star san, insert into the faucet a couple times x2. Let it dry overnight, then put a rotated brush in. I have 4 taps, and have 5 brushes. I always rotate that 5th brush, just in the case the one I used to scrub the night before isn't 100% dry. No problems over the past year or so of owning.

day_trippr

"This Space For Rent"
Reaction score
Those brushes are nasty things that should only be used for scrubbing out a spout. They do not seal air out, so even nastier things can attach to them, and they dry up and get sticky.

I have always used those black faucet "condoms", washing them weekly. No bugs...

Cheers!

Dgallo

If you ain’t first, you’re last Ricky Bobby
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Take off the tap, disassemble and clean/sanitize it well. Then moving forward, keep a little spray bottle of sanitizer next to your tap. Give it a squirt and the get the sealing caps without the brush.