ViennIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonetlumiere85

Reaction score
Hey all,

I made up a recipe today with the idea that it'd be a slightly maltier than most IPA. I love an IPA with a strong malt presence, but I wanted to keep it simple, so this is what I went with. The hop selection can be modified, but I've ordered the grain bill as is, so only additions can be made. That said, please give me your insights!

Mash in at 140ish, rest for 30min
Raise by infusion to 153ish for 60min
Mash out at 170 for 15 min. 60min boil.

8lb Vienna Malt
2lb Torrified Wheat
2lb German Pilsener Malt

1oz Centennial 60min
.25oz Centennial 45min
.25oz Centennial 30min
.25oz Centennial 15min
.25oz Centennial 5min

Expected IBU: 45
Expected OG: 1.050

Thanks for any feedback!

Don't know that I would call this an IPA so much as just a PA. But I agree with supper, up the late addition hops and definitely dry hop.

What's your reasoning for the step mash? Just go for a single infusion at 153°.

Well I guess part of it is my mashing setup, it seems to work better if I aim low, starting with 1qt/lb or less, and then raise to my desired temp with hot water additions, which usually takes 10-15 minutes at most. By the time I get the temp stabilized, I'm up around 1.5qt/lb. I also figured it would be good to get full extraction from all the grains so I can get a few subtle notes from the 2-row and wheat.

Thanks for the tips on hop additions, I'll probably use some nugget to supplement those additions, I like its clean flavor.

Back