Vienna vs. Munich

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aspera

Reaction score
I have found through experience that I dislike vienna malt but will (inexplicably) place a pound of munich malt in almost any recipe. Reading the discriptions of how they are made this seems totally insensible. Any theories on why these two malts seem to taste so different? Which do you like and why?

What is it about Vienna that you dislike besides the obvious taste?

I'm looking at making a SMaSH Beer with all Vienna. I understand it can be rather dextrinous.

Is it sweet, malty or the foaminess that you dislike. Maybe somethin' else??

:confused:

As to adding munich ot almost any recipe, the melanoidin character in munich adds a very classic malt flavor to a beer. I add it frequently in recipes as well. Vienna is a similar malt, but kilned less. I'm also curious in what flavors you are not liking.

they're both fantastic malts...very similar. i've made some of my best beers with vienna and i also throw a pound or two of munich in a lot of recipes. it gives a nice malty background to my brews.

i'm also making a hefeweizen with vienna, wheat and pilsner this weekend. yummy.

DeathBrewer said:
...i'm also making a hefeweizen with vienna, wheat and pilsner this weekend. yummy.
That sounds really good. I'm picking up a new sack of Vienna this week and I have a hefeweizen order to fill. I wonder about a 70/30 wheat/Vienna instead of my usual 70/30 wheat/2-row.

Boy, that sounds good, Brad. Hadn't considered Vienna in a hefe before, but I bet that's real nice. I'd be temped to do it more like 60/40, REALLY show off the Vienna.

You and your damn alternative base malts!

bradsul said:
That sounds really good. I'm picking up a new sack of Vienna this week and I have a hefeweizen order to fill. I wonder about a 70/30 wheat/Vienna instead of my usual 70/30 wheat/2-row.

i usually do a 60/40 wheat/munich. my friends want me to make a light hefeweizen (they want something other than my dark dunkelweizens and heavy malted wheat beers, lol)

i was just going to do pilsner and wheat, but then i added a little vienna...and a little more...and a little more :D i think i ended up with 3.5 lbs White Wheat, 1.5 lbs Pilsner and 1 lb of Vienna (this is a PM brew so it'll also get some briess wheat/barley blend...website doesn't say what barley it uses or how much)

does vienna/munich have the diastatic power to convert a 60-70% adjunct mash? For some reason I was thinking you should only do ~50% with those two malts. But if y'all are having success with it, I may just have to do it myself....:D

Really? how did I miss out on this little tid bit of information.... Seems like it would have been something important I would have picked up. Well, you learn something new every day:D

I just looked it up on beer advocate and they said that malted wheat had some enzymatic power. I will probably check another place or two to make sure, but it looks like you win this round bird:p

Wheat I believe actually has more enzymes than barley, it just takes longer to convert. I may be wrong about that, but it must have enough enzymes to handle itself or my 70/30's probably couldn't convert fully and I've never had a problem with 70/30 dunkelweizen's either.

the_bird said:
...You and your damn alternative base malts!
I love experimenting with flavours. That oatmeal stout with the munich base malt has been one of my most popular recipes so far.

Aspera said:
I have found through experience that I dislike vienna malt but will (inexplicably) place a pound of munich malt in almost any recipe. Reading the discriptions of how they are made this seems totally insensible. Any theories on why these two malts seem to taste so different? Which do you like and why?

I think Vienna adds a bisquity or bread like attribute to my Haus Ale. It's hard to describe, but it really sets it apart from a simple Pale Ale, while still appeasing a broad range of beer drinkers.

Is that what you dislike?

It must be the biscuit flavors. I'm not especially partial to those and use them with great care.

Back