Vienna toffee pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
I'm bored of the usual ale malt + crystal combo so looking at around 85% Vienna + 15% toffee with the hops of my choice, maybe some local NZ hops like Taiheke (NZ Cascade) and Motueka (NZ hops are readily available and cheap). Any thoughts on this grain bill?

Yeast either US-05 or M44.

I've never used Vienna or Toffee. See screenshot for details.

Attachments

• Vienna toffee.PNG
    Vienna toffee.PNG
    205.8 KB · Views: 35
Cool! I have been wanting to try M44! Have you worked with it much?

I love a vienna lager, so those choices of yeast seem on point...
That being said, this beer could be a challenge to balance...
What are your plans for the water and mash temp?
How many IBUs?

I have used the M44 a few times. I find it attenuates much better than US-05. I had a 1.062 OG IPA with around 10% DME and it still went down to 1.010.

I have very soft water (see screenshot). I have CaSO4 and CaCl2 for my salts.

I think I'll target around 30 IBU's. Mash I'll probably go with around 67C (152F).

Attachments

• water.PNG
    water.PNG
    3.8 KB · Views: 4
Ok cool!
My next brew is pale malt and cara-vienna and only cascade...
Should be copper colored and lots of orange aroma!
Cant wait to hear how yours turns out!

That sounds tasty! I like a single hop Cascade.

A couple of days ago was my first single hop NZ Cascade so I'm keen to see what that's like compared to US Cascade.

I like a little bit of a sweet honey after taste to balance out the bitterness. I could increase the whirlpool additions too for a few more IBU's.

Nice! I've just put two cascade rhizomes in the ground, next to a few other varietals...
But my gardening skills leave something to be desired...
Was hoping to brew a Sierra Nevada Clone myself one day, with these homegrown hops!

Nice! I've just put two cascade rhizomes in the ground, next to a few other varietals...
But my gardening skills leave something to be desired...
Was hoping to brew a Sierra Nevada Clone myself one day, with these homegrown hops!

Last time I grew hops at the parents place in my very early days of brewing (I forgot the strain), when I moved out, my mom was digging for hours to kill it off as it literally grew like a pernicious weed. Excuse the pun! Pernicious Weed

A good vienna malt (Weyermann, Bestmalz, Gladfield) makes a great pale ale on it's own - no need for crystal. Having said that, it's worth including toffee malt just to be able to munch on a few of the grains - they really taste like chewy toffees! I'd drop the toffee malt back to 10%, but it should be delicious.

I have used Vienna malt in combination with pale ale only. Your idea sounds good. What is an alternative grain for the toffee malt?

I have used Vienna malt in combination with pale ale only. Your idea sounds good. What is an alternative grain for the toffee malt?

Gladfield say the toffee is unique to them - so I'm quite interested to hear what the closest thing is from other maltsters. In saying that, I only use Gladfield as it's cheap and readily availiable.

I have my ingredients in hand
...but I'm still finishing plumbing to launch my new garage brewery...hoping to hear your results so I can look forward to my recipe too!
I mounted the faucets this morning, maybe 14 more joints to sweat...I'm about halfway there... 😓

Back