Vienna Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bransona

Reaction score
I just got my most recent shipment of grain. Lots of 2-row, pilsner, and white wheat. I also got enough Vienna to play around with these 3-5% additions I keep seeing everywhere. What will this small addition do to my brews?

I've thought about using that new pseudo-lager yeast because I can't maintain lager temps very well, but 55*+ isn't too hard. Vienna lager does sound good...

I have a Vienna Lager in the bright tank/lager chamber now that has a 95% Vienna and 5% CaraMunich II grain bill that I hope is awesome. I plan to tap it for Cinco de Mayo

I have found Vienna at 15%-25% (max) works well. It gives a nice grainy flavor that plays nicely with the 2-row. I did a red IPA with Vienna malt and German hops and it turned out very well, very different!

I just kicked a keg of Vienna lager (100% Vienna) and I was sad to see it go. It was so darn tasty - wonderfully malty and just the right amount. 1007 would work really well as a pseudo lager yeast.

And I liked the malty flavor so much, I just did a roughly 50/50 Vienna and two-row split in, believe it or not, an IPA. We'll see how that turns out but hopes are high.

It's a base malt so I don't know why you'd add it in such small amounts. I've done 50/50 with MO before and my last beer was a 95% vienna hoppy pale ale which is very nice, although its dominated by hop flavour at the moment

3%-5% Vienna will do next to nothing at that level. It's a base malt, so it makes a great beer at 100% as many will testify. So it's not so drastically different from just a 2-row pilsner/ale malt that 3-5% would be noticeable. 25% Vienna may be noticeable, but 3-5% no way, no how.

3%-5% Vienna will do next to nothing at that level. It's a base malt, so it makes a great beer at 100% as many will testify. So it's not so drastically different from just a 2-row pilsner/ale malt that 3-5% would be noticeable. 25% Vienna may be noticeable, but 3-5% no way, no how.

It's a pretty common practice amongst respected brewers. I've done it at this point and absolutely notice it. Anything 100% Vienna tastes like river water to me.

Is it weyerman malt? Because that's a great base malt. Are you using a US malt that's called vienna and it's different from the german ones?. I know british Munich is nothing like the german stuff and it can't be used the same way. Found that out the hard way :)

How different is the Briess Goldpils Vienna from Weyerman's Vienna? My LHBS only has the Briess. I was planning on brewing a SMaSH with Vienna and Northern Brewer hops.

I always use about 10% of GP vienna in all of my pales or IPA's. I like the nice crisp cracker toast it provides.

Back