Vienna Amber Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluedragoon85

Reaction score
Is their such thing? The thing is I really like the flavor of a Vienna Lager. I love the hint of caramel flavor it gives among other things; however, I am not ready to lager, and I was wondering what the equivalent would be in Ale form. I want to do a 5 gallon extract batch and I wanted to make sure I was brewing the correct recipe. Would the equivalent just be a standard Amber Ale? I might go with some of the Austin Home Brew extract kits if they have something similar to what I'm looking for. Any feedback would be great :)

I don't see why you couldn't brew up a beer with basically a Vienna lager grain bill and hopping but then use a clean ale yeast (maybe like a Kolsch yeast). It's not going to be authenitic, but I bet it's tasty.

I could do that, but I'm still thinking about it. I was looking into this recipe right here
since it mentions having a hint of caramel in it, and heck, maybe I might like it more then a standard Vienna lager, but I am still undecided. If anyone has brewed this type of beer, please provide feedback :D

Are you doing all-grain, or extract? You can't really do a true Vienna-style lager/ale without being able to mash the Vienna malt, anyway.

The American Amber ale is a little more hoppy than a Vienna style. I have made our Vienna Amber many times, using the lager yeast at room temperatures, and it turns out excellent.

Forrest

Are you doing all-grain, or extract? You can't really do a true Vienna-style lager/ale without being able to mash the Vienna malt, anyway.
I'm doing extract. Not quite yet for All Grain.
The American Amber ale is a little more hoppy than a Vienna style. I have made our Vienna Amber many times, using the lager yeast at room temperatures, and it turns out excellent.
Thanks for the reply Forrest :D I will sure look into doing that. So all I would have to do is use the lager yeast that it comes with at room Temp. and it would still come out exceptionally good? Thanks:mug:

Back