Video instructional for all-grain processes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EyePeeA

Reaction score
Can anyone direct me to a video-instructional to demystify all-grain brewing, i.e. mashing in, mashing out, sparging, recirculating, vorlaufing, and the differences between fly and batch sparging? I'm looking for more of a friendly instructional that isn't severely dummed down.

I'm a visual person and not very into extreme DIY. I'm not sure reading about it has completely sunk in yet. So anything simple, with pictures or videos, that doesn't require me building a mash tun or cutting slits into a homeade PVC pipe maze, would help.

I'm brewing Partial Mash BIAB and dunk sparging. I know the basics, but I'm only mashing about 3-4 lbs of grain on average. As the amount of grain I use increases bit by bit, I want to make sure I am doing this correctly in order to have good efficiency, preferably in the mid 80s. Again, I'm not switching to all-grain. Still brewing partial mash, but I need someone to help explain the whole mash/sparge/vorlauf process.

Also, I would appreciate if someone can explain in this thread why you have to sparge with a specific amount of water for 10 minutes or 30 minutes, or however long it takes. I always see the time and volume change. And are the processes different if you're brewing all-grain BIAB? In addition, the purpose of step mashing, protein rests, sach rests, are all ambiguous to me. We're brewing mostly American Ales here, so what's wrong with a simple one stage mash with a specific amount of water at a specific temp?

I'm glad Bobby_M posted his videos. I remember finding only the first two when I started; they were really helpful and certainly helped to boost to my confidence when diving in.

Just to toss another one in there here is the man, John Palmer. Been a while since I watched that so not sure how in depth it is but it would add to any other video I'm sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you want to be sufficiently lulled to sleep, this is the first half of my attempt.

I watched the first two videos last night, back to back. They were very informative and will hopefuly help me to become a better brewer. Thank you for that. You definitely have a handle on the actual science that goes on.

So if I want a highly fermentable, dry, west coast IPA... then I should shoot for a long 90-120 minute mash with mostly American 2-row held at 147F, to harness the more concise short chain chopping action of beta amalyse, as opposed to allowing alpha amylase to randomly chop the starches up into small and large chain sugars? The downside would to mashing low would be a watery body, but can this be combatted by using 5% carapils to add some dextrins back into the wort without adding caramel sweetness?

Some other things I wanted clarification on, correct me if I'm wrong:

-Protein rests are only really necessary if you're brewing wheat beers or recipes that rely on a decent amount of unmalted grains that haven't really been modified.

-Mashing out is only really sensical when you're brewing a beer with full body and mashing high, since you primarily want to target the alpha amylase range, then halt everything... and avoid the beta amylase range as much as possible.

Latest posts

Back