Video editing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXCrash

Gunshy
Reaction score
Video editing masters:
I have 3 hours of video on DVD (3X 1 hour long DVD's in DVD format) which I need to analyze for a class project. I'd like to analyze it at roughly 6X speed. Ideally, I'll have a time-stamp displayed on the video and convert the video to 6X speed.

I'll be using this software once - I'd prefer it to be a fully functional trial version or freeware. I have decent hardware to run the process.

I have 2 computers - one is Vista and the other is Win7. The Vista box is the more powerful of the two.

Any ideas?

If you're wanting to do this to save time, it won't. I'm guessing it'll take you an hour to find a program to do this, and then 2-3 hours to speed up the video and timestamp it. By that time, you could be done.

I'd suggest downloading MPEG Streamclip Pro, and ripping it into .mov. Then download inqScribe - you're able to speed it up and quickly annotate with timestamps. It's meant for transcription, but would work well for this.

We'll be watching the video multiple times - analyzing the efficiency of construction processes. Can fast forward but it just isn't the same (I'm a geek).

Could you speed it up in Windows Movie Maker? (Mac here, not sure if you can).

I'll try it out in the morning.

DL'd hr programs you suggested - will report back tomorrow nightish. Any other suggestions appreciated.

Not sure if it fits your needs, but you can download a 30 day trial of Adobe's Premiere. It might be a little overkill for what youre doing though.

I've always found premiere too complicated, I''m a big fan of pinnacle studio.

Its been a really long time since I've used it. Probably 5 years or more. There is a pretty big learning curve, but you can do some pretty neat things. Its been even longer since I used Pinnacle. There is another one out there thats really powerful and popular with the amateur film crowd... can't remember the name now. I think it started with a V?

I'm positive premiere is a great program. But just like photoshop it does have a learning curve. Once you learn them its great but until you get there they can really suck. I find Studio nice and easy and my wife can even use it :) We really only use it 3 times a year to make birthday videos for the kids, and the occasional wedding we go to. Actually I don't even think we used any video in the last couple just photos

I think Ulead makes video editing software package too

Back