victory prima pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernerbrau

Reaction score
Just picked up a 22ozer and had this. Freaking amazing. Hoppy and malty yet not overwhelming in either. Now typing this review on my phone from the bar.

This is one fizzy yellow piss beer that does not disappoint. Actual review to follow when I'm not druck.

Quite tasty...we've got plenty of great pilsners in PA to accompany Prima (which I do enjoy too):
Troegs Sunshine Pils
Stoudts Pils
Sly Fox Pikeland Pils
Penn Kaiser

all quite tasty

Clone recipe from Zymurgy, author Amahl Turczyn Scheppach:

1.053, 51 IBU (all whole hops), 3 SRM, 75% eff., 90min boil
9.25lb German Pils
Double decoction w/mashout (20@122, 40@145, 20@155, 10@165F)
1oz Tradition 6% @60
1oz Tett 4.5% @30
1oz Mittelfrüh 4.5% @20
2oz Saaz 4.3% @10
German lager @50F, lager 10-13wks @35F

I'd have to use about 10lb to get 1.053 on my system....

Quite tasty...we've got plenty of great pilsners in PA to accompany Prima (which I do enjoy too):
Troegs Sunshine Pils
Stoudts Pils
Sly Fox Pikeland Pils
Penn Kaiser

all quite tasty

Great posting!

I love living in Lagervania

Great posting!

Hells yeah! If you like lagers, we've got a world class selection 'round here.:fro:

A friend and her husband were talking to Ron & Bill and asked for the recipe to Prima.. they don't like giving out the recipe and would rather that folks take their own shot. The most info I've seen directly from Victory:

The brewhouse was designed to
perform decoction mashing for continental lagers (but works great for
American and Belgian ales too) but also using whole flower hops. Its
my opinion that the wonderful aromatics evident in HopDevil and Prima
are a result of using whole hops and a hopback as well as the careful
watching of Ron and Bill. BTW, Victory is located in Downingtown,
Pa, about 35 miles west of Philly. Directions are on the web site.

Heres some pointers on making a homebrewed version of Prima Pils:

Prima is slightly higher OG than the traditional German pils, aim
for around 13P. A grist of 100% pils malt from Germany or the Czech
republic would be good. Perform a multi step mash or decoction
according to the malt specs, ie if needed. Take care to avoid oxygen
pickup during mashing and lautering. Hopping is around 50-60 BUs,
you can choose to use all noble hops if you can fit all the hops in
your kettle, or start with a higher alpha kettle hop like German
Perle or Northern Brewer and follow up with the traditional flavor
and aroma hops such as Hallertau and plenty of Saaz. Do not dry hop
pils and be sure to boil the last hop addition for at least 5-10
mins. Use a huge starter of clean lager yeast, a one gallon starter
can be allowed to complete and take the slurry from that for 5-6
gals. Oxygenate to saturation by injection/bubbling pure O2.
Ferment cool, keeping below 50F. Lager 5-6 weeks at 31F.

HOMEBREW Digest #3209 Fri 31 December 1999

9.25lb German Pils
1oz Tradition 6% @60
1oz Tett 4.5% @30
1oz Mittelfrüh 4.5% @20
2oz Saaz 4.3% @10

I'm not set up to lager, BUT I could always do an ale with WLP029 or something.

I'm not set up to lager, BUT I could always do an ale with WLP029 or something.

I'm not permanently set up to lager either, but I know Yooper has good success using a swamp cooler to get keep fermentation temps in check (even for lagers), then you could ostensibly lager in the bottle if you wish.

I'm not permanently set up to lager either, but I know Yooper has good success using a swamp cooler to get keep fermentation temps in check (even for lagers), then you could ostensibly lager in the bottle if you wish.

Unfortunately it's a bit too humid for a swamp cooler here :(

Unfortunately it's a bit too humid for a swamp cooler here :(

If James Spenser can do the low-tech lagering thing in Arkansas, I'd bet you could pull it off in Tennessee. ;)

That said, I'm going to hold off on doing any lagers until the conditions in my basement allow it.

Careful now! That's easily confused with Yuengling. ;) (not that I think it's a bad beer; I do like it. It's just sad that with so many tasty brews in PA, the majority of the population thinks "lager" = Yuengling)

I haven't had a beer from Victory I didn't like. Would love to try that Zymurgy recipe if I had time to devote to a double-decoction brew day. :drunk:

flyangler18 said:
That said, I'm going to hold off on doing any lagers until the conditions in my basement allow it.

You mean SWMBO? ;) I'm gonna make a lager brewer out of you whether you like it or not. :D

I just got a clone kit from Austin Homebrew, 9.5 lbs of German Pils, and 1 oz each of Tradition, Tett, Hall, and Saaz at 60, 30, 20, 10 minutes. Hope to brew it Sunday or Monday.

My local store was out of the Prima today too....sumbitches!

I just got a clone kit from Austin Homebrew, 9.5 lbs of German Pils, and 1 oz each of Tradition, Tett, Hall, and Saaz at 60, 30, 20, 10 minutes. Hope to brew it Sunday or Monday.

My local store was out of the Prima today too....sumbitches!

how's this one coming along?

i just tried this beer tonight... amazing. IMHO, it's the perfect german pils.

I tried this after first trying the SA Noble Pils. I really liked the strong presence of aroma hops in the SA offering. I thought the Victory Prima was more dominated by bitterness than aroma, still not bad, but not my preference.

However, that changed tonight when I tried the second bottle. I was going to have it with dinner and took my first few sips (in a glass of course) before dinner. Again, I was a bit set off by the bitterness versus aroma. Then I started drinking it with the chicken I was eating for dinner, and it really started to shine. This beer is awesome with food.

Lately I've been enjoying my beer stand alone most of the time, and not really payig attention to if it went with the food I was eating on the occasions where I did have a beer with a meal. But this time, I really did notice. It was great with dinner!

Another thing I noticed about the Prima was the body and awesome head retention. There were head rings all over my glass, pretty much everywhere I paused while drinking it. I guess those are features of the double decoction?

9.25lb German Pils
1oz Tradition 6% @60
1oz Tett 4.5% @30
1oz Mittelfrüh 4.5% @20
2oz Saaz 4.3% @10

I just got my first bottle of this, haven't even tasted it but already looking at brewing something similar. This looks great :)

what would I loose by only doing a step mash compared to a decoction method?

I just got my first bottle of this, haven't even tasted it but already looking at brewing something similar. This looks great :)

what would I loose by only doing a step mash compared to a decoction method?

In my experience, decoctions get you a bunch more malt complexity and "toasted" flavors.

I love everything Victory and their Pils is NO EXCEPTION. It's probably one of the best out there. Sam Adams Noble Pils is a close second.

I recently bought freezers for fermenting and kegging, and I'm going to brew this next, for my first lager (yeah, the holiday beer is getting bumped). Got some friends who are typically light beer lovers but always demand seconds on my stuff.

9.25lb German Pils
1oz Tradition 6% @60
1oz Tett 4.5% @30
1oz Mittelfrüh 4.5% @20
2oz Saaz 4.3% @10

I'd hate to tie up the fermentation freezer for 10 weeks. Does anyone see a problem racking to secondary after fermentation completes, turning my keg freezer down to 35, and lagering in there alongside the kegs?

Had this for the first time last summer in the Phili area, tasted skunked along with the hop devil (two different bars) so I strayed away from it and wrote them off. Then today I saw it sitting on the shelf at the Total Wine and grabbed a sixer. MUCH BETTER. Lots of floral and perfumey hop flavors with a nice firm bitterness and sweet malty backbone.

I'm on vacation with a 12-pack of mixed craft beers.. just got to this one. Fukcing gross. The aroma is hops, the flavour is hops and the aftertaste is bitter. That was the first gulp. Now EVERY sip after is nothing but bitter. Bleh. Nasty. I'm literally dumping my glass over the balcony and pouring something else.

... or 3, I like beer and not hops-water.

I have read often on this board about the silliness of the trend of american craft brewers to go big on hops to try to stand out only to forget about balance. I didn't really get it till I was able to come down here across the border and sample a wide variety of craft brews. This beer is 44ibu (beer advocate) but has low alcohol and pours very light and has little malt flavour. That is just terribly unbalanced.

But hey, if you like a sharp bitter drink with not much flavour besides hops then this is totally your brew!

I attempted to clone it a few times. I tried different yeasts, etc. No luck.

The last attempt was with Nothern Brewer only - for bittering and a 20 minute addition. Was good, but not a clone. I'll brew a bunch of them this winter and see if I can nail it.

There are only two conclusions to be drawn:
1. You got a stale Prima
2. You have no palate

... or 3, I like beer and not hops-water.

I have read often on this board about the silliness of the trend of american craft brewers to go big on hops to try to stand out only to forget about balance. I didn't really get it till I was able to come down here across the border and sample a wide variety of craft brews. This beer is 44ibu (beer advocate) but has low alcohol and pours very light and has little malt flavour. That is just terribly unbalanced.

But hey, if you like a sharp bitter drink with not much flavour besides hops then this is totally your brew!

Good call 944, it is a bad palate. :)

_

I wasn't getting that review either. I just recently bought some and thought, for a German Pils, it had more body/color and wasn't as bitter as I expected. I actually thought it was leaning towards a Czech Pils (although I've never had a non-skunked, fresh true Czech pils).

Yeah, the guy who says this beer has no body definitely isn't drinking the same Prima as I am.

Well that's good to hear. I'll give it another try some time. Maybe this one had been ruined - no telling how old it was or how much light it saw. It was nasty.

Well that's good to hear. I'll give it another try some time. Maybe this one had been ruined - no telling how old it was or how much light it saw. It was nasty.

This beer made me take the plunge and come up with a lagering setup. My local craft beer pub has it regularly on tap. IMHO one of the best lagers brewed in the US.

I brewed this recipe earlier this year and it was amazing, i like the clone more than the original. The only change i had was i used an undermodified pilsner malt and i fermented using wyeast2124. I cant wait till the weather cools down again so i can brew this one again.

I'm brewing another Pilsner this weekend, a Bohemian. I saw the correspondence with someone from Victory earlier in this thread and they stated a 13ºP (1.053) starting gravity and the ABV is 5.3 so you would think the FG would be around 1.0125. I went to my local bottle shop and picked up a few bottles of Prima Pils, degassed one and took a gravity reading...it was 1.006! That seems very low and would imply the ABV is 6.2% assuming a starting gravity of 1.053.

When doing research for brewing a Tripel or Golden Strong, I did the same thing with Golden Monkey. In BLAM, they list the OG at 1.085 which would give a FG of 1.0125 for a 9.5% ABV beer. When I tested the real FG, guess what it was? Yup, 1.006.

Take this info for what it's worth. I'm sticking with the 13ºP OG for now. Maybe through their decoction regimen, they have found over time how to keep a full body with low FG. That would save them on grain costs.

Back