Viability of yeast that has taken 10 days in mail

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gugguson

Reaction score
Hello.

My only source of liquid yeast is by mail to Iceland. It takes about 10 days and although I add ice packs it is warm when I receive it.

Question is, when I'm creating yeast starter with stirplate should I use another viability of the yeast because of how it has been handled? (I'm using Beersmith to calculate yeast starters and it usually recommends 400-500ml of starter.

now when you say warm... how warm?
yeast is fine warmer, it wont die till it's like 120*. honestly i would just make a starter and be good. if you are nervous though, you could always make a small starter and build up from there to where you need to be?

or just use dry yeast, thats always an option and dry yeast are way more hearty too.

have you tried this place?
http://aman.is/

Hi Gugguson, I wouldn't make anything less than a 1 liter starter. 500 ml doesn't give great results, and I keep reading about the 1 liter being the minimum starter amount.

This is not to say that 500 ml during brew day isn't good- it helps get the yeast started.

Here's what I would do if I were getting my yeast shipped. I would make a 1 liter starter a few days ahead of time, stick it in the fridge after 36 hours for 12-24 hours.

On brewday, I would decant the extra beer on top, and add some fresh wort 4-5 hours before pitching into a 5 gallon batch. (I'm assuming that's the amount you usually make, and that we are talking about the regular strength brews- 1.050 to 1.060)

The trip to Iceland will definitely take it's toll on the yeast. People store yeast cold for a reason, yeast life plummets when stored warm. I would therefore ensure that my yeast is good to go, by making a 1 liter starter. I don't see how you could overpitch in this scenario.

does this help?

Back