Viability of Already Opened 34/70 Sachet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Pivoman

Reaction score
I used about 1/3 packet of 34/70 dry lager yeast about 6 months ago, then crimped and kept the rest in a zip lock bag in the basement. Would the remaining yeast be good to use for keg conditioning? I naturally carbonate my kegged beer with fresh wort, the batch I’m set to keg and krauesen/keg condition is an Oktoberfest fermented with Omega Bayern Lager.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It's probably fine, but if it's easy to pick up a new package, I'd personally do it. I've had slow-to-start fermentations that I can't definitively pin on opened, stored-in-the-freezer yeast, but I have suspicions. And what a pain if your keg doesn't carb up.

IslandLizard

Progressive Brewing
Staff member
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
They should be fine as long as the yeast grains didn't get damp (or wet). If they're clumped together or smell moldy, make sure you have a backup on hand.

The yeast pouch would have been better stored in the fridge or freezer, inside a well sealed freezer or mylar/barrier bag, with all air squeezed out.

hottpeper13

Reaction score
Can't speak to 34/70 but I use CBC for bottle conditioned barrel beers and add 3 grams to the bucket,fold the opening and put on a paper clip and into the dry yeast zip bag in the kegerator. Good to the last gram.

Latest posts