Very Old Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iordz

Reaction score
So I was at my LHBS yesterday and I asked whether they had a pack of Wyeast Roeselare. The owner asked his employee to look for a pack in the back of the fridge and give it to me, if they had one. I was pleasantly surprised but then found out the pack was very old, but I wouldn't turn down an offer for free yeast.
Turns out it is a year old Wyeast Activator Smack Pack. The pack has not swollen and has been kept in the fridge for the whole time. I was planning on breaking the pouch inside to see if it swells, this would mean the yeast is somewhat viable. Even if the pack swells it does not guarantee a very high cell count, so I can make a starter and step it up a couple of times to get a large quantity of healthy yeast. Does this seem like it would work? Should I even bother?
Also, I saw that Wyeast will be releasing Rogue Pacman Ale yeast during the September-December months! Exciting, can’t wait!:rockin:

Yes, do bother. Make a starter. May take a while, but you will know in a day or two if the yeast is good. If it shows life, step it up a couple times then you are good to go.

Make the starter. I pitched a 9mo yeast that swelled rock hard in 12 hours. It never started and I had to repitch.

And culture that puppy while you're at it.

Last year brewed with a Wyeast I had in the fridge for 12 years. Worked but not the greatest beer. Let you guess where I would put something a year old.

You know, I was going to culture the yeast onto a slant but then I though, "do I need a Flanders Red Ale slant?" It's not like I would be using it very often, the beer will take at least year to make so I can get another pack when its season comes. I guess I'd rather save my slants and culture the pacman yeast coming out!

Back