very old LME and hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Long story, but I've stumbled into some very old LME and hops -- I think at least 3 years.

6 lbs Extra Pale + 1 Lb Munich in an Austin Homebrew screwtop plastic container (presumably not airtight?)
9 lbs "German pils" in what look to be vacuum-sealed foil bags

0.5 oz Sterling in a vacuum-sealed package
0.75 Magnum in a vacuum-sealed package
1 oz Hallterau in a vacuum-sealed package
~0.5 oz leftover Columbus wrapped up in a ziploc bag
~0.5 oz leftover Northern Brewer wrapped up in a ziploc bag

The LME's been in a fridge and the hops in the freezer. The jar the hops are in still smell quite strongly.

Obvious question is: What, if any, of this might still be useable? At a minimum I was hoping maybe I could use the LME for making yeast starters.

Well,being in the freezer the whole time,the hops might still be pretty good. Make sure the extracts are clean & free of any nasties. Pelicles & other visual cues. Even being in the fridge,the extracts might brew up a bit darker. I used a 2 year old cooper's OS lager can,& it turned out like a session version of Salvator from paulaner.

Another good point,forgot about that one! Very true that. Seems to me an episode of brewing tv showed that once. The hops were at least a year old (whole leaf/raw) & looked a bit brown or pale tan/green. It's supposed to be part of the flavor profile.

Back