Very novice question on wild yeast flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Outcider

Reaction score
Greetings all! I'm new to cider making... just started my first batch a couple weeks ago! Obviously it's nowhere close to being finished yet, but I'm already planning on the recipes/mixtures I'd like to try next.

Which brings me to my main question... I've been reading Correnty's The Art of Cider Making. Lots of great info for a newbie like me and some tasty-sounding recipes. However, a lot of his recipes are based on fermentation of unpasteurized juice using the wild yeasts. I'm not sure I want to play around with that sort of thing (knowing my luck I'd grow plague in mine) and I don't have a source for unpasteurized juice locally anyway. So, if I were to use dry yeast, should I modify the recipes in any way? I've heard/read that wild yeast behaves slightly differently than its "domesticated" counterparts, and also that it creates a noticeably different flavor in the finished product. Is there any particular yeast you'd recommend for use in a recipe built around wild, or does it not really matter? Thanks for the input!

simple, go get an organic apple off the tree and culture the yeast off the peel.

I'm not lucky enough where I live to have "good" wild yeasts, so I haven't tried cider with wild yeasts. We don't live in an area where there are apple orchards and cider mills- we're way too far north. It would be a good experiment, but I'd hate to waste a batch trying!

I just use cider or wine yeast, along with the juice. I haven't really noticed much of a difference in the different wine yeasts, but I did like the Lalvin 71B-1122. That left some fruitiness in the apple wine I did. It can also metabolize more malic acid (and apples tend to be a malic fruit), so it was smoother, I thought.

+1 on the 71B-1122 if you like less sharp cider/wine. I've got a batch of cider that used wild yeast going right now from a organic peach I picked up from trader joes. I just took the peach, skinned it then placed it into a sugar solution with a stopper, let it get going (took 5 days) then pitched it like a starter into the juice (I used cheapo treetop)

I hadn't thought of cultivating my own wild yeast strains (I'm new to brewing in general; just Googled and found a bunch of pages on how to do it). Great idea! Thanks for the advice. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back