Very little fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdunbar619

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Been a hardcore lurker for the past few months. Just got into brewing, waiting for my first batch to complete bottling stage, and already kicked off my second. This is the batch in question.
So I brewed a Hefeweizen four days ago, and within 24 hours the bubbler was kicking off c02 at the same rhythm of a heart beat, definitely faster than my first batch. But I noticed yesterday and today that it is barely giving anything off, in fact I watched for a solid 5 minutes and saw nothing. Is this common to have such drastic differences in fermentation? (Batch 1 was consistent for about 10 days). Just curious, I'm sure I'll find the answer when I pop the lid in a week and a half, but wanted to get a little input from everyone.
Thanks all!

Little more information to better consider your question.
What was your yeast? How much yeast did you pitch? How did you prepare your yeast for pitching? What was the estimated OG of your Hefe?

Air lock activity isn't a good way to determine fermentation. The only way is by taking gravity readings. If they are lower than the OG then you are fermenting. If they remain constant for 3 days then you’re done.

Agreed, airlock activity only means that gas is passing through.

How hot did your fermentation get. Hotter = faster but not necessarily better. Mid sixties F is best for most ales. Check the range of each yeast and keep it low to mid on the range for best results.

Back