Very high pressure in keg and lots of foam.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ck1950

Reaction score
Hey everyone,this is probably my 12th beer to keg and never had problems until now. I kegged this beer back in mid December using 2.5oz of priming sugar. It was in the fermenter for 3 weeks but I did not take a fg reading before it went in the keg. I just now put it in the keezer and hooked up the CO2 line set at 10 psi. I released the pressure and beer went everywhere, then I hooked up the 10 ft liquid line to see what would happen and it poured straight foam at a very high force. The keg is not cooled to serving temp yet, but have never had this pressure and foam issue. Any help on what I did wrong and a way to fix it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
cliff

Not sure what you did wrong, but to correct it, first get it down to serving temp, you can then bleed of any excess CO2 with the release valve unil regulated. Next time take a gavity reading before adding priming sugar. Could have only been half way finished and continued t ferment in the keg. Luckily you kegged and didnt make dozens of bottlebombs.

After the foam settles the beer taste great! It is a cynic surly clone and was really looking forward to this beer. I will try to bleed off the pressure once it is down to serving temp. If it finished fermenting in the keg, will it affect it any?

After the foam settles the beer taste great! It is a cynic surly clone and was really looking forward to this beer. I will try to bleed off the pressure once it is down to serving temp. If it finished fermenting in the keg, will it affect it any?

Not at all and some do just that. Only thing that you did wrong was add priming sugar to early. no harm no foul!

Ok now I'm totally confused... I only bottle. I was under the impression that when you keg you force carbonate no need to use priming sugar? if that's the case I'm never gonna keg

Ok now I'm totally confused... I only bottle. I was under the impression that when you keg you force carbonate no need to use priming sugar? if that's the case I'm never gonna keg

You can do it either way. Personally, I force-carbonate with CO2, and don't use priming sugar. Some folks prefer to "naturally" carbonate the beer and thus use priming sugar in the keg.

To each his own.

bwarbiany said:
You can do it either way. Personally, I force-carbonate with CO2, and don't use priming sugar. Some folks prefer to "naturally" carbonate the beer and thus use priming sugar in the keg.

To each his own.
Ok... learn something new everyday!!

I force carb if there is room in the keezer with the set and forget. If there in no room or if the beer needs to condition I use priming sugar. I believe I have a issue and should seek help, If I am under 300 beers on tap or in bottles I feel that I am running low and need to start brewing ASAP.

ck1950 said:
I believe I have a issue and should seek help, If I am under 300 beers on tap or in bottles I feel that I am running low and need to start brewing ASAP.

Man I wish I had your issues --300

Back