Very First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skogarr

Reaction score
So I have a wonderful, amazing, and smart girlfriend that got me a brew kit that I've been asking for for months. I also was following the instructions found in the complete home brewers guide book. anyway, My first beer is going to be a Bavarian wheat ale, made from an extract kit. so I followed everything by the book and when I added the yeast late last night nothing happened. I am assuming that the wort was still too warm despite the temperate being 75 degrees and it killed the yeast. My question is, can I add additional yeast to start the fermenting?:confused:

75 degrees will not kill yeast. Just wait could take 48 hours to start if you did not aerate well, sometime longer. Also depends on temp.

Be patient!

yes you can add additional yeast no problem, just santize.

But I would not added just yet as you said last night, so Tommarow night would make night three right? if nothing is showing by then, then yes I would add more. I usally will wait a 3 day period no longer.

First off, Welcome to the obsession.
Rule #1 - Patience
Rule #2 - See rule #1

It can take 24-72 hours to "See" active fermentation. Your yeast are in a lag phase right now (Like a big sex party and reproducing feverishly). Once they multiply a few times they start consuming sugar at high rates.

My advice don't sweat it until at least 2-3 days have gone by. I usually find that checking on it every 4 hours or so is about right. You will be surprised how much of a difference 4 hours can make. One minute..nothing, 4 hours later a 1 inch Krausen.

RDWAHAHB. :)

Don't add more yeast yet. As iglehart said, 75 degrees will not kill the yeast. Just wait, and keep in mind that bubbles do not equal fermentation. If you want to be sure fermentation has started, take a peek inside the fermenter and see if a krausen has formed. If so, the yeast is working.

If it is possible to lower the temp of your fermenter, I would try that first. Also, just a side thought, is the lid on your fermenter air tight? Do you use a bucket or a carboy? What was the predicted O.G., and what yeast did you use?

Back