Very fast fermentation...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nate

Reaction score
So we've made this beer numerous times and it always takes 9 to 12 days to reach FG (OG around 1.075). This time it took 5 days.

Only 2 things changed... used well water vs filtered municipal water and did a very long boil (wasn't paying attention during sparge). I'm assuming it's the water but I've also never done a 4 hour boil. lol.

Thoughts?

I can't think of reason that changing the water would accelerate fermentation significantly. It's probably more likely that something(s) else was a little bit different. Higher fermentation temp? Healthier yeast? More viable yeast cells? Better wort oxygenation?

Besides the water and long boil, everything else was the same... ingredients, rest of the process, fermentation temp (same temperature controller and setpoint), yeast, oxygenation time, etc. If anything, may have pitched slightly less yeast. The other interesting thing is the krausen is usually blowing out the top of the fermenter (Imperial Wheat) but that didn't happen this time which seems a bit contradictory.

Either way, tastes great for its age (still needs some secondary cleanup time) and it hit 8.5 ABV after 5 days.

Definitely still scratching my head...

What was the date on the yeast? Perhaps that well water is loaded with free yeast nutrients. It sounds like you could have a gold mine for homebrewing water 😆

What was the date on the yeast? Perhaps that well water is loaded with free yeast nutrients. It sounds like you could have a gold mine for homebrewing water 😆

Wouldn't that be awesome... lol. First brew since moving so I guess we'll have to brew again soon to test that theory!

Was it a higher ABV with well water or the same? I think its not unrealistic to see very different fermentation from various water sources. Your water pH will also affect the level of fermentable sugars acheived in the mash. Not sure how that would decrease speed to FG. Perhaps yeast is happier in your well water. Seems entirely plausible.

Pretty much finished at the same ABV and gravity. I know our well water is extremely clean but with a pretty low pH (low pH is common with well water). Very curious to see how this affects the flavor as the esters with the Weihenstephan yeast are easily affected by changes in fermentation conditions.

Cold crashing today so will keg in the next day or so...

Back