Very cloudy APA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Down_Home

Reaction score
I made a batch of partial mash APA two weeks ago and just siphoned to secondary. It's incredibly cloudy but has reached its target 1.010 fg. I've read that gelatin clearing strips hop flavors. How about if I let this 5 gallon batch sit for a week or two, then gelatin for three or four days, then lightly dry hop for three days and then bottle? Is this a dumb idea?

It doesn't sound like you've cold crashed yet. That would be my first step. Drop the temperature of the beer to 32-35 degrees and let it sit for a day or two. If you're adding gelatin, the beer should already be cold to get the best results. Gelatin does not strip hop flavors, so you should be fine. Letting the beer sit at fermentation temps for 2 weeks will have a greater effect on hop flavor and aroma than the gelatin fining. My typical schedule is:

End of fermentation -> dry hop (4-5 days) -> cold crash (24 hours) -> gelatin (24 hours) -> package

You can let it sit for an extra day or two at the cold crash and/or gelatin steps depending on your personal schedule.

Filtered it through two kidneys -- came out crystal clear! Kinda funny color tho :D

Back