Versatile British Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I've been obsessed with making an ESB that's similar to Old Speckled Hen. My recipe is virtually identical to what I've found online including having Lyle's Golden Syrup shipped from England (until I found World Market carries it in smaller packages). But the one thing that hasn't been right was the yeast (S-04), which makes a terrible ESB and nothing remotely similar to OSH.

I used to use nothing but liquid strains until we moved to another city, at which time I found I preferred US-05 to WLP001, and so I tried S-04 and have washed and saved both. But it's obviously time to buy a liquid strain.

And so I've gone through what White Labs and Wyeast offer looking for a higher attenuating strain (over 70%) and decent flocculation. I'm looking to make a dark mild, ESB, British IPA, robust porter, old ale, and barleywine.

What I've found is 1318 London III, 1968 London ESB, WLP006 Bedford, and WLP022 Essex. I'm leaning toward 1318, but figured I'd ask those who have gone down this road for their opinions.

I've found OSH recipes using 1275 Thames Valley, WLP013 London, and Nottingham (dry?). Anyone know which it is? And would all of these produce something similar enough? OSH is by far the most unique and tasty ESB to me with Fullers just being mediocre in comparison.

I have used wlp007 (dry English ale) with good success. It is about 10% more attenuative than S-04 and should get you the drier quality you are seeking.

I've looked at that one as well and figured it would likely make a good old ale or barleywine yeast, but wasn't sure it would have much British character. But more importantly it didn't list ESB.

As an aside I've read that S-04 is the Whitbread strain. The same Whitbread liquid strains?

What does S-04 do well? I'm guessing it might make a porter or stout, or maybe an English IPA.

WLP007, 1098 and S-04 are all the Whitbread B (dry) strain. It was originally developed for tower fermentations, which required a yeast that flocculated/attenuated well and could be used continuously. Whitbread B also produces more lactic acid than most British yeasts that can manifest as a tart/yogurt-y flavor when fermented warm. It makes good hop forward and drier British styles, but is not ideal for more traditional fruitier ales. WY1099 is the Whitbread A strain and is actually quite nice.

As for Old Speckled Hen, yeast you'd want is WLP037 or WY1469 if you can't get the real stuff. These yeasts produce a much softer, fruitier, and rounder beer with some light diacetyl. Flocculation is good, attenuation is medium.

As for good all-around British yeast, my favorite is WLP006 Bedford. It has some of the rich flavor of 1968, but attenuates and flocculates well. It is my first choice for English Bitters, EIPA, Brown Ales, Milds, and does well in high gravity beers. WLP022 Essex is also nice, bready and lightly fruity. WY1318 is a great yeast, but is pretty sweet, soft, and best for maltier beers. It makes an awesome dark mild though.

Are you able to get your hands on Morland hens tooth over there? As that is bottle conditioned so you could culture up the morland strain

Gervin GV12 is my go to yeast, good flavour profile if fermented warm and clean at cooler temps. Ferments most brews to 1.008. Not sure how accesible this is across the pond though

Back