Vermont May Lower Drinking Age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, that sounds like the issue. Looks like they're trying to explore alternative ways of preventing problem/binge drinking about young people (including making drinking legal, so that kids who NEED help aren't as afraid to get it), but would only do so if the Feds were willing to grant some waivers related to losing highway funding.

It's at least worthy of a conversation.

They should keep it at 21 unless you complete some big alcohol awareness and education course to get a drinking license. If you did that, you could drink at age 18. Like how we do driver's ed for 16-year-olds. That way the younger drinkers would be more educated, and less likely to drink themselves to death, or get behind the wheel of a car.

I think we need a drinking license in general anyway. They have education programs for the people that are serving the stuff, like bartenders and waitresses, why not for the people that are actually putting it in their bodies?? Education is always good when it comes to stuff like this.

the_bird said:
Well, that sounds like the issue. Looks like they're trying to explore alternative ways of preventing problem/binge drinking about young people (including making drinking legal, so that kids who NEED help aren't as afraid to get it), but would only do so if the Feds were willing to grant some waivers related to losing highway funding.

It's at least worthy of a conversation.

I'll agree that it's worth looking into. But were you ready to be legally drinking @ 18? I know I wasn't. Not to say that I didn't drink. If it's only about kids not getting in trouble for getting caught drinking or seeking treatment then that's another story. There's not much you can do about that. I just don't see it happening.

Well, from reading the article, dropping the drinking age is just a small piece of what they're thinking about. It sounds like they're trying to figure out a "think out of the box" approach to underage alcohol use/abuse; what that means (education? something more than that?) sounds like it's still up for debate, but that part of whatever BIG approach they try might include lightening up on the illegallity.

I'm skeptical, but interested in hearing what they propose. I would hope that they're thinking of something more comprehensive than "more education about drinking in public schools!" Be interesting to watch, but there's nothing to really judge at this point in time.

:off: Sorry to be a bit off topic, but how was the federal government able to attach not having the legal drinking age be 21 and not getting funding for highways?

Seems totally unrelated and that doesn't sound very constitutional...?

when the do the budgeting stuff the next year vermont would likely get very little aloted to them. Thats how they do it.

Regardless of the drinking age thing though, I like how vermont is actually willing to stand up to the feds. I really like the idea of states rights, I mean if thats how a majority of the people want it to be there, who am I or for that matter the federal govt to tell them otherwise?

mrfocus said:
:off: Sorry to be a bit off topic, but how was the federal government able to attach not having the legal drinking age be 21 and not getting funding for highways?

Seems totally unrelated and that doesn't sound very constitutional...?

It's the same way the federal government is pressuring states into making smoking indoors illegal. Every year, if a state doesn't comply, they get less money budgeted to them - typically highway funds. That explains all the potholes in North Carolina.

As to the legality of it, "states that don't have an age-21 limit" aren't a protected group. The Feds can distribute Federal funds as they see fit. They've got the stick.

Minnesota is considering this as well. I listen to KQRS via Podcast every day, and they were discussing the other day.

Here's a few things to consider in ragards to being an adult capable of making desicions at 18 years of age:

At age 18, you can legally...

•Give up your life and/or take the lives of others in defense of your country (or city or count or state via National Guards)
•Vote
•Get married and raise children
•Buy a home and start making the massive payments.
•Incur massive credit debt on credit cards , mobile phone accounts, record clubs etc.
•Go to prison for life or any amount of time the judge sees fit for your crimes.
•Sign a legally binding contract.

But for some reason, you need to wait THREE more years to be capable of making the decision to drink alcohol.

I find that not only ludicroys, but also rather insulting!

Was I an adult at 18? Maybe not, but the courts seem to think so. I certainly felt like an adult when I was FORCED to register for the draft.

I have to admit, i did plenty of underage drinking, and most of it was a LOT less safe than going into the pub and having a few beers. most of it involved driving around the countryside adn drinking, or going to big kegger parties and trying to find my way home. I honestly believe that the whole idea of drinking seems a lot more exciting when you are not allowed to do it. I was quite amazed at how boring pubs were, once I was able to go in whenever I wanted. It kinda took the fun out of it.

Federal highway funding should not be controlled by any factors that don't involve USING those highways. Just my opinion of course I could be wrong ;)

You nailed it Pete. I dont care if they lower the drinking age. However, if you are not responsible enough to make the decision on drinking, then you are in no way capable of making critical decisions for this country. Drinking and voting age should be the same.

Also someone asked earlier if the other person was ready to make the drinking decision at 18; and claimed he was not. I know for a fact I was ready at 18. I dont know why younger people get such a bad rap. I would have been ready by 16 probably (by no means saying the drinking age should be 16). There are a lot of idiotic kids, trust me I know, but there are just as many idiotic adults. I think 18 is a good drinking age.

When I was 18 I was drinking illegally and managed to stay out of trouble-- or rather avoid getting caught as I was making trouble. I imagine I woudlhave done the same if it had been legal.

The biggest difference is this: I would have been exposed to fewer other illicit drugs. See-- when you are at a party that is ALREADY illegal other substances tend to show up more frequently. Few bars are willing to tolerate the risk of an open air drug market in their place but that's not the case with a large underage drinking party.

It was not a bar that broguht me my first joint, E, coke or other recreational drug. Those I got a hold of at underage drinking parties.

Back