Vent hood - How many CFM?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VVbrewery

Reaction score
I'm in the planning stage of building a 5 gallon (but I know enough to plan for ten ;)) electric system in my basement. What kind of CFM exhaust do I need to get rid of the excess moisture? I'd like to utilize an unused dryer vent. Is a 4" duct large enough to move enough air?

I know when I put my stove range hood, the inspector made me pull out the manual and prove it was over 180 cfm or something. And then he made me prove it vented to the exterior and had a backflow dampener.

I used a 4-speed unit with max 760 cfm. I believe that rating is with 8" hose and I used 6", so I bet I got less. No idea what the restriction will do to the fan, but if you're getting this inspected, its what the manual says that matters for whether you pass or not.

I went with a stainless 36" wide Z Line model off Amazon. Very happy. Home Depot wanted $600-800 for comparable specs and finish. I paid $300 shipped for the Z Line.

No idea what the restriction will do to the fan, but if you're getting this inspected, its what the manual says that matters for whether you pass or not..

Inspected? We don't need no stinking inspections! Seriously we live in a rural area and I doubt the part time building inspector has much experience in home breweries. Besides as a "temporary" installation it doesn't require inspection. At least IMHO. But I was wondering what kind of CFM range hoods have and you answered that question.

Thanks

I was browsing Craigslist and saw this company that was going out of business. Awesome deals on scratch and dent range hoods. Check it out.

http://www.premiumkitchenappliances.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_15

You're right! They have a nice 36" SS 250CFM unit for $100 complete with dent :) My wife would be jealous. A bit more than I was looking to spend but after getting a blower and fabricating some kind of hood this probably would be cheaper. Not to mention looking really cool!

Thanks

VVbrewery said:
You're right! They have a nice 36" SS 250CFM unit for $100 complete with dent :) My wife would be jealous. A bit more than I was looking to spend but after getting a blower and fabricating some kind of hood this probably would be cheaper. Not to mention looking really cool! Thanks
If you're brewing indoors the 250CFM won't keep up.

KAL quotes a BYO article on the electric brewery that says you can take your element wattage divided by 17.6 to get your needed CFM but I personally feel that's off.

I have a version rated for 300CFM and run my 5500 watt element at 50% when boiling. Even at 50% I have moisture running down the walls and dripping from the under side of my hood.

Personally, I'd recommend something closer to 600-700CFM. I'll be upgrading mine to something similar soon.

I built something similar to this and made it the length of my brew stand. I connected it to this duct fan and am currently venting through a 6" duct that is 25' long. It has no problems pulling all the moisture and venting it outside. I also keep a humidity meter in the room and it barley changes while I am brewing.

Inspected? We don't need no stinking inspections! Seriously we live in a rural area and I doubt the part time building inspector has much experience in home breweries. Besides as a "temporary" installation it doesn't require inspection. At least IMHO. But I was wondering what kind of CFM range hoods have and you answered that question.

Thanks

Temporary installation? "Temporary installation" is a term for structures which have no permanence, such as a haunted house, fun house, bounce house, etc.

Experience inspecting breweries? It takes no brewery experience to determine the venting requirements for either electric or fossil fuel burner. These requirements are already laid out in code.

Building to "code" is what your cognizant authority has determined is the bare minimum to qualifies as reasonably safe.

You said this is in your basement. That's an attached structure with no fire blocking membrane between the proposed ignition source and the living space. You've also got no impermeable gas membrane, nor reasonable amount of ventilation from the exterior, even if your basement windows are above grade.

No, the rural inspector will not drop in on your house and demand to inspect. And neither will I. However, should you manage anything large enough to have to call the fire department, know that the fire investigators will not be ruling in your favor and any homeowners' insurance you may carry is null and void.

Been through the year-long process of claims and rebuilding once already due to unlicensed and shoddy electrical work. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I'll see my way out now. *unsub*

Whoa Thadius. Sorry if I hit a nerve. I wasn't really serious about most of what I said. Sometimes my sparkling wit :) doesn't translate well to this medium. I called it temporary because the only thing that would permanent would be the hood. The rest would only be brought out on brew day. Like a stove, I don't think that's considered a permanent installation but I could be wrong. Anyway you bring up several other good points. I may have to rethink this basement brewery idea. Oh well back to the drawing board.

Mark

If you're brewing indoors the 250CFM won't keep up.

KAL quotes a BYO article on the electric brewery that says you can take your element wattage divided by 17.6 to get your needed CFM but I personally feel that's off.

I have a version rated for 300CFM and run my 5500 watt element at 50% when boiling. Even at 50% I have moisture running down the walls and dripping from the under side of my hood.

Personally, I'd recommend something closer to 600-700CFM. I'll be upgrading mine to something similar soon.

Slightly off topic I understand...anyone buy from this site? I've been watching but nothing seems to move off their site and they seem almost too good to be true.

I was browsing Craigslist and saw this company that was going out of business. Awesome deals on scratch and dent range hoods. Check it out.

http://www.premiumkitchenappliances.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=10_15

You're right! They have a nice 36" SS 250CFM unit for $100 complete with dent :) My wife would be jealous. A bit more than I was looking to spend but after getting a blower and fabricating some kind of hood this probably would be cheaper. Not to mention looking really cool!

Thanks

Slightly off topic I understand...anyone buy from this site? I've been watching but nothing seems to move off their site and they seem almost too good to be true.

Hi Mtn_Brewer, you posted a while ago about a diy garage vent hood, I am very interested if you are willing to share your build info with me to build this hood - thank you.

Back