Vent hood help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwing_al

http://www.homebrewmania.com/
Reaction score
Hi, I brew in my basement, but there isn't anywhere I can vent outside and the steam/humidity are somewhat annoying. I'm afraid of building up mold too... Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas to control the humidity and moisture? I am interested in your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you,
RW A

Dehumidifier/ open some windows, window fan? I brew mine rightnext to window w/ window fan blowing out. Open nearby window for fresh air. Also keep a dehumidifier downthete year round on a preset setting. Idk what u would do if u had no windows. If ur handy, u could make a hole big enough for a 6 inch duct through the masonary. I little work i know but i would think u need ventilation somehow. I hope ur not using propane down there without ventilation.

I am thinking of a dome over my electric kettle that is connected to summer ductwork with a fan that will pull the moisture into a vented bucket of some kind to catch the liquid.. Not sure if this will work though.. Any engineers out there have a better idea?

So what you really want to do is have an exhaust duct with a chiller so the steam condenses on the cold surface instead of increasing the humidity in the room? Instead of simply pumping the moisture out of the basement via a fan and duct/hose to the outside?
Yeah, it's possible. But for the return on investment just think of this: how many bathrooms condense the moisture to dump down the drain? And how many put in a little exhaust fan and just vent the moist air outside?
Even if you need to run a 50ft length of collapsible dryer duct up the stairs and out a door/window you'll be better off.

Hi, I brew in my basement, but there isn't anywhere I can vent outside

Really...no where? No windows, doors, dryer ducts, chimney chases, water heater flue, furnace flue?

In winter I plan to duct my steam out of my tiny basement window using one window fan blowing and one sucking.

Back