Venison beer marinade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

DD2000GT

Reaction score
Made a quick unplanned trip to my property and grabbed some fresh venison backstrap out of the freezer. I am looking for a marinade but did not plan or bring it. I have basic seasoning but 5 kinds of beer (see where my priorities are eh?) I am wondering what would be the best beer to marinade venison today - here is what I have:

Left Hand Milk Stout
Tommyknocker Maple Brown
Deschutes Black Butte Porter
Kona Pale Ale
Shiner Wild Hare Pale Ale

So - for those out there with a better culinary skill than me - what say ye?

cheezydemon3

Banned
Reaction score
Your least hoppy, darkest would be my advice. Probably the porter.

I would add lots of garlic powder, onion powder , b pepper, and a little cayenne and salt.

Cumin if you have it.

OP
D

DD2000GT

Reaction score
That is what I was thinking as well - but suck at envisioning taste combinations.

I also forgot, my wife has a bottle of sweet chocolate wine (like a dessert wine). Might go well(?)

strat_thru_marshall

Reaction score
the porter or the stout would be my vote. With the low levels of bitternesss you could also reduce the marinade down into a sauce afterwards, and it wont be super bitter.

gratus fermentatio

Reaction score
Yep, the Black Butte is great to cook with, I've used it many times. I find that the alcohol tends to dry out lean meat like venison, so I either simmer the beer a bit to burn off the alcohol, or I'll make a reduction. Works great with any red meat.
Regards, GF.

Pennsyltucky

Reaction score
Over seasoning a backstrap is a sin... temper the meat, salt and pepper, sear, finish in the oven, cooked medium rare, rested ~10 minutes. Perfection.

Pour a glass of the beer and drink it!

jrodskreet

Reaction score
Over seasoning a backstrap is a sin... temper the meat, salt and pepper, sear, finish in the oven, cooked medium rare, rested ~10 minutes. Perfection.

Pour a glass of the beer and drink it!
+1
Yes. The meat itself is flavorful enough.