Vegetal flavors from dry hop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
I brewed a pale ale and an IPA on the same day about 6 weeks ago. I tasted both when taking FG readings and they both had a nice hop flavor and aroma. I proceeded to dry hop both beers for 7 days. The pale ale got 1oz of hops 1/3 Columbus, 1/3 Amarillo and 1/3 Simcoe. The IPA got 1oz each of Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra and Chinook.

Upon opening 1 of each, I've noticed they both now have a vegetal note in the nose and a bit of a vegetal flavor. The dry hops were all from the same order, so I assume this is where the vegetal notes came from since I did not detect the flavor before the dry hop.

Anyone ever get anything like this? I've heard using too much hops in the dry hop can cause this, so I could see it with the IPA, but the pale ale only got 1oz. Did I get bad hops? Should I complain to the supplier for basically ruining 2 batches of my beer?

How long ago did you bottle before trying one and how long did you dry hop each? I've found that I try to keep dry hopping to about 7-10 days, otherwise I've noticed a vegetal flavor from as little as 1oz. Also, the sooner after bottling you drink it, the more you'll notice it. Mine seem to round out about 1 month after bottling.

Would you characterize the vegetal flavor as a "grassy note" akin to fresh cut Bermuda, Zoysia, et al?

Often times people note a heavy grassy note from extended dry hopping most likely attributed to high levels of chloropyll leaching from the plant material.

In all honesty, it was more of a cooked vegetable flavor, which I know usually points to DMS, but I swear to god it was not there before the dry hop. Both beers were boiled nice and hard for 60 minutes and no pilsner malt was used.

They've only been in the bottle 2 weeks. I guess I am judging prematurely. We'll see how they are in another 2 weeks.

The more of these beers I taste, the more I think it could be diacetyl that I'm tasting. Again the flavor was not there before bottling. Anyone have any idea why I'd get this in the bottle?

What temp did you dry hop at? How were your hops stored? I have heard dry hopping cold can give a veggie aroma/flavor but know several people who do it regularly with no problems.

I know this is an old thread but Im discovering the same thing with my batches.

Last 4 dry hopped batches, all with Centennial, Cascade and Amarillo all have the same thing, a cooked corn or perhaps a wet grass flavour about them.

All were dry hopped @20C for no more than 10 days.

Originally I thought it was due to a warm conditioning phase in the bottle (25C-28C) and was DMS, however batch 3+4 have been in cold storage for almost a month @15C and also has the same issue.

A mate of mine is also having the same issue, with the only commonality is cascade hops, and using iodophor in the bottles/sterilizing process.

I swear as Im more aware of this I am testing the fermented beer BEFORE the dry hop and its not till its conditioned that this becomes a problem.

Ideas?

I'm starting to think that these flavors may be slight coming out of the fermenter. But carbonation brings out the malt/hop aromas & flavors. Including the off flavors &/or smells. That's my opinion...

I brewed a pale ale and an IPA on the same day about 6 weeks ago. I tasted both when taking FG readings and they both had a nice hop flavor and aroma. I proceeded to dry hop both beers for 7 days. The pale ale got 1oz of hops 1/3 Columbus, 1/3 Amarillo and 1/3 Simcoe. The IPA got 1oz each of Columbus, Amarillo, Simcoe, Citra and Chinook.

Upon opening 1 of each, I've noticed they both now have a vegetal note in the nose and a bit of a vegetal flavor. The dry hops were all from the same order, so I assume this is where the vegetal notes came from since I did not detect the flavor before the dry hop.

Anyone ever get anything like this? I've heard using too much hops in the dry hop can cause this, so I could see it with the IPA, but the pale ale only got 1oz. Did I get bad hops? Should I complain to the supplier for basically ruining 2 batches of my beer?

I know this thread is a few years old at this point, but I'm having the exact same problem (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/dry-hopping-vegetal-flavor-391549/) and was curious whether just conditioning/aging fixed your problem or if you ended up dumping the beer? Really curious as I'm having the same issue right now.

Thanks,
Julian

I have had a few similar experiences. I am relatively new to dry-hopping, and I have had mixed results. I have been dry hopping because I felt there wasn't enough flavor from the kettle hops.

IPA dry hopped with mosaic and centennial - perfect hop flavor and aroma

IPA dry hopped with Saaz and Hallertau Mittelfruh - tasted awful like flintstones vitamins. After a month of aging it actually had complex hop flavors. Far from the "freshness" I hoped for.

Wild IPA with cascade - great flavor and aroma. Vegetal does exist, but I think that's a product of the malt and the yeast. The local 6-row Pils malt I use does not play well with any kind of wild yeast

French saison with Aramis - today is day 5. It has that dry hop off taste that is somewhat vegetal, but interesting notes of pine and citrus. I am going to take off and let condition.

Wheat ale with wet chinook - today is day 3. Has a really green flavor from the fresh hops, not much else. I am going to take off and let condition.

The lessons seem to be

1. Be wary of noble type hops. They need time to condition after dry hopping.

2. Wet hops, same as #1 I am hoping.

3. Focus on the kettle additions. I think the flavors and aromas can be achieved without the additional headache and time from dry hopping.

Latest posts

Back