Variable Chill Haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PavlovsCat

Reaction score
I put two bottles of a new batch in the fridge last night for sampling. I drank one last night after about 2 hours in the fridge and it was perfectly clear. Today after work, I drank the second and it was hazy. Does chill haze occur at different temperatures? The second bottle would have been exposed to the cold for a longer time and probably had gotten down to the set temp of 37, whereas the first probably didn't get that cold. Anyone else ever experience this? I use Irish Moss in all my brews and got my wort temperature down to pitching temp fairly rapidly before I pitched. This was a Dead Guy clone and used Pacman yeast.

Yes, I have experienced this. Not the same manner but I poured myself a beer and let it sit at room temp for about an hour. When I poured it there was a noticeable amount of chill haze. After it warmed up the chill haze disappeared. That is probably something similar to what you experienced.

This has been my experience as well. Chill haze takes a while to form, and in my experience it's between 4-5 hours. My solution: put all the beer in the fridge 2-3 weeks before I want to drink it. The chill haze takes a couple weeks to fade and drop out, and you're left with crystal clear beer. :mug:

Great post!

I noticed the same thing last week and I was wondering if I was going crazy.
The first couple beers were crystal clear, and I could almost read a newspaper through them. (If I remember what a newspaper is)
Next day, like you, the beers were all cloudy. Tasted great, so no worries, but there is something cool about the clear beer.

So, given that cold storage for a couple more weeks will clear them,
is there any brewing technique pre-bottling that can reduce this?

I've herd that quick cooling will help..anything else?

Back