Vanilla Stout for a newbie!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neildytham

Reaction score
I've got 6.6lb dark malt extract
1/2lb crystal malt
1/2lb 2 row barley and want to make a vanilla stout or something similar (vanilla!).
Has anyone got a good recipe and what else I need for this.
Also I've seen many with secondary fermentation in them, but haven't used this method yet, can I avoid it?

im assuming liquid extract... In a 5 gal batch that should bring you right up at around 1.046 starting gravity. If thats roasted barley (dark) you can try steeping the 1/2# crystal and 1/2# barley around 150-155 for 30-45 minutes in around 2 gallons of water. Then pour a another gallon over the grains (water around 180). Boil for an hour with whatever hops you decide to use. Probably a single 60 minute addition around 25 ibu for a sweet stout

Personally i would use a secondary so that you can add more vanilla flavor and help it to clear but if you wait until fermentation is compelte and add vanilla i dont see a problem. Most recipes including the one im about to brew (vanilla bourbon porter) uses madagascar bourbon vanilla beans steeped after the boil. Im going to use them again in secondary to taste. In short- you can avoid it but you would probably be better off without it. Also if you have any maltodexterin, add it for mouthfeel. Good luck

Back