Vanilla Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yoi55

Reaction score
I am about to start the secondary fermentation on my robust porter. I want to add some vanilla extract to it to make a vanilla porter. I have read up on this a bunch, and there are a TON of varying opinions. I decided to add it to my secondary, and then some more when I rack if necessary.

Anyway, I have a 6 gallon glass carboy that I have my porter in. How should I add the vanilla extract? Should I just pour it in and let it sit? Or, should I try and stir it in somehow? I don't want to add any additional oxygen, so I assume that stirring would be the wrong option to go with. But, I wanted to get some opinions. Let me know what you think, thanks! :mug:

I am doing the same with a cream ale, should be ready to go in about 10 days to secondary. I have decided to put the vanilla beans (and some vodka/extract) in the secondary first and rack on top. Not 100% sure this is the correct way to go to get the taste I want, but after reading the forums that's what I came up with. Someone will probably be able to give a more expert opinion than that, but thought I would chime in.

Well, I went ahead and just dumped 2 ounces of Watkins Madagascar Bourbon vanilla extract (35% alcohol). I didn't stir it in at all. The airlock is back on, and the waiting begins. I will update in a couple weeks after the secondary is finished on how it worked out. :)

Well, I went ahead and just dumped 2 ounces of Watkins Madagascar Bourbon vanilla extract (35% alcohol). I didn't stir it in at all. The airlock is back on, and the waiting begins. I will update in a couple weeks after the secondary is finished on how it worked out. :)

FWIW, I had a vanilla porter sitting on 2 scraped and minced vanilla beans AND two tablespoons of vanilla extract, and got no discernible vanilla flavor out of it. I wish I had added more extract at bottling. Be sure to taste your brew before bottling. I wish I had.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just bottled last night. I did taste it before siphoning it out, and it definitely needed more. I added 2oz more vanilla and you could definitely taste it, but not overpowering by any means. We will see in a few weeks once it's carbonated.

FWIW, I had a vanilla porter sitting on 2 scraped and minced vanilla beans AND two tablespoons of vanilla extract, and got no discernible vanilla flavor out of it. I wish I had added more extract at bottling. Be sure to taste your brew before bottling. I wish I had.

How long did you let it sit? I just bottled a 3 gal batch that had a lot of vanilla flavor. In fact I hope it mellows a bit with time. I soaked one scrapped vanilla been in 3 oz bourbon for one week then added bourbon and bean to secondary. I let that sit three weeks before bottling. It was a very high quality strong Madagascar bean.

How long did you let it sit? I just bottled a 3 gal batch that had a lot of vanilla flavor. In fact I hope it mellows a bit with time. I soaked one scrapped vanilla been in 3 oz bourbon for one week then added bourbon and bean to secondary. I let that sit three weeks before bottling. It was a very high quality strong Madagascar bean.

It sat for three weeks on two vanilla-soaked beans that were scraped and chopped. I added a half ounce of extract at bottling. As of yet, it has no vanilla flavor whatsoever. Been bottle conditioning for almost a month.

Recently did an Orange cream Ale which I added 1oz vanilla extract(powder) from Austin Homebrew to the bottling bucket. Very vanilla tasting in my opinion. It is still young so maybe in a couple more weeks the vanilla will calm down.
Also did a bean addition to another batch a while back by adding 2 beans to the secondary(scraped and chopped) did not come out nearly as vanilla flavored as the extract batch did.

Sent from my iPad

Back