Vanilla porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

travis2008

Reaction score
Im ready to start my third batch of beer was thinking about doing a vanilla porter one of my fav beers i have been using kits so far and would like to continue for the time being question is this the kits that ive been using only come in reg porter is there a way to infuse vanilla into their recipe and how much should i use

Once fermentaion is done, split a fresh vanilla bean down the center and drop it in the fermenter. Taste after 3 days- if it's where you like- package and you're set. I'll brew a porter and drop one in after week 1 (typically fermentation is done at this point, if not I wait) and package after the second week or so- YMMV. I use one of the porter recepes from this site and learned from several homebrewer's this get's the longest lasting vanilla flavor.

You could also use an alcohol based vanilla extract. A tblspn should be enough for 5 gallons but my experience is that once you get the flavor from a fresh bean, it tends to last longer.

One more option would be to make your own extract by splitting a bean and soaking it in enough vodka to cover it, then dumping the liquid in your fermenter.

Do the soak in vodka thing or at least sanitize the bean with it before adding to the beer. Just splitting and tossing one in there presents too much of a risk of infection for my liking.

Appreciate the advice guys wasnt sure if it should b a part of my boil or what this forum has been a great tool since i have taken up brewing

Vanilla porter is what I had in my primary atm, I split 2 beans down the center, scraped the insides and cut the beans into half inch~ sections. Soaked for a day in whiskey then tossed into the primary. Going to bottle it in a few days. Can't wait to see how it turns out! Second batch for me though so don't trust me as a source haha

I used two beans for my Vanilla porter as well, just scrape the insides and cut them open and throw in a muslin sack into the keg.

Vanilla porter is what I had in my primary atm, I split 2 beans down the center, scraped the insides and cut the beans into half inch~ sections. Soaked for a day in whiskey then tossed into the primary. Going to bottle it in a few days. Can't wait to see how it turns out! Second batch for me though so don't trust me as a source haha

^ this is what I do also but I like to use vodka

Back