Vanilla Oatmeal Stout Anyone???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CDEEZ

Reaction score
Hi All,

I tried the Ninkasi Vanilla Infused Oatmeal Stout and am in love!!! I went to the website and found some info on it but does anyone out there in brewland have a recipe (in case I can't find this one at my local brew stores)? I just free'd up my carboy and am getting antsy already. Any help and or suggestions would be much appreciated!

I have no idea what the beer you are trying to emulate tasted like, but I tweeted a recipe from my LHBS and have had amazing results.
3# DME
1# flaked oats
12 oz Carmel 120 grain
8oz Roasted Barley
4oz Chocolate grain
1.25oz UK E. Kent holdings (boiling)
1oz Willamette (finishing)
3 whole (split down the middle) Tonga Vanilla beans soaked in Wild Turkey American Honey
3/4 cup corn sugar for priming
1 package ale yeast.

steep the grains @130 or so for 20-30 minutes, then bring to a boil, after boiling remove grains, add DME and boiling hops. Boil for 75 minutes. Add finishing hops during last 15 minutes. Cool and pitch yeast. After fermentation has slowed, wait about a week and either transfer to a secondary or dump the vanilla bean booze mixture into your fermenter, then let it sit for 2-3 more weeks, bottle or keg or whatever your fancy tells you to do.
I let mine sit in the bottle for 2 weeks before I entertained drinking it, overkill, maybe.
OG 1.060
FG 1.014.

One of the guys who helps me drink beer isn't partial to stouts, but he loved this one.
Hope this helps.

That looks like a good recipe with one exception. I don't think that the grains should typically be boiled. I would do like it says with the 130 for 20-30 minutes, for me I generally go about 137 if I am trying to extract dextrine based compounds which give the beer head and then I will raise to around 154 and steep for 15-30 minutes to get more fermentables from the grain and to get what I think is called diastatic conversion which actually seems to thin the mash and remove most of the remaining carbohydrate. Then I would remove the grain and begin the boil. I don't think boiling grain is good.

Otherwise, the recipe looks great.

ps. I am not super seasoned so lets see if we can get some agreement on the topic.

I just left the grains in while I brought it to a boil. As soon as it started the first hints of boiling I pulled the grains out. I agree with the not boiling them part. Not sure what it would ultimately do to the beer, but i dont particularly want to find out.

On a side note, my parents live in Aurora, not sure how close that is to Eugene, but it is in Oregon. Another interesting fact, you would not believe how many people mispronounce Oregon out here on the east coast. It irks me.

Thanks for all the advice! While we are on the topic, does anyone have any suggestions on how to infuse the vanilla bean? Have read to soak in vodka and add to secondary, however my brew store said that is not necessary since the secondary will already have alcohol to disinfect... any thoughts?

I soaked them in bourbon, but I guess that might not have been necessary. The booze content in the beer should kill any microbes on the bean, but if you wanted to add a bit more alcohol content soak the beans and then add that whole mess to the secondary. I think the bourbon lent a little more complexity to the overall taste of my beer.
Hope whatever you decide tastes delicious.

Back