Vanilla Metheglyn idea

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2ndGenBrewer

Reaction score
Proposed recipe for a vanilla metheglyn

6 pounds cotton honey
6 pounds mesquite honey
16 Fluid ounces blackstrap molasses
3 packages of US-05 Ale yeast
Yeast nutrient/energizer (per staggard nutrient schedule)
3 vanilla beans (in secondary)

As normal I plan to bring the water just up to the boiling point them stir in the honey, molasses, and the first adition of nutrient/energizer. I will re-hydrate the yeast and pitch once the must is at room temp. Once I reach the FG I rack and add the vanilla.

To all of those brewers out there with SO much more experience then I, how dose this recipe sound?

Any and all comments/suggestion would be appreciated.

Interesting idea to use molasses in a mead with honey...that flavor should blend well with the vanilla. I make a vanilla porter with molasses added, and I like the combo.

I think I use more vanilla beans in my porter, but I've never used vanilla in a mead, so with the more delicate taste (in general) of mead, 3 might be enough...you can always add more if you think it's not enough when you sample after a bit of aging in secondary...

16 oz of molasses is a lot of molasses & blackstrap is the strongest flavoured mollases on the store shelf. I used 8oz of regular molasses in a 6 gallon batch of cyser & it almost overpowered the honey. It just seems to me that you'd want your varietal honey(s) to come thru on this, I think 16oz of molasses will overpower the honey, maybe scale it back to 8 or even 6 oz. You can always add more later if you want to. Regards, GF.

I appreciate the feed back! I've never used molassess or vanilla in mead and wasn't sure how strong either of thier flavors would be... I think I will pull back to 8 oz on the molasses.

Thanks again.

i'm still not sure the honey or vanilla will come through the molasses.

you might wanna scale this down to a 1 gallon batch to make sure it doesn't taste aweful.

i would also go with 71-B yeast, over ale yeast. its THE hot mead yeast lately.

Back