Vanilla maple stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colinzeye

Reaction score
I've been a chef for 15 years and have been brewing with my girlfriend for a much shorter period of time now. However I am intrigued by the idea of incorporating the culinary ingredients I am so familiar with into brewing. We decided on a stout with flaked barley to enhance the creaminess with vanilla beans. Living in NYS we have an abundance of maple syrup in the coming months, and we want to add it in as well, to both add apv, but also as a flavoring and aroma ingredient. My question is where do we add it? I was think 15 minutes before the end of boil.

Even if you add it @ flame out the majority will turn to fermentable sugars... at least in my experience. I add Maple @ flame out. Maybe a waste but I like to think it's worth it. You can also add maple syrup to secondary, I would cold crash and transfer beer on top of maple syrup in the secondary. I have had good results as far as maple flavor using this method.

Edited to add/ disclaimer: I keg and don't worry at all about bottle bombs, obviously adding a high dose of maple syrup and then trying to naturally carb in the bottle by adding yeast would be a bad idea = bottle bombs.

Even if you add it @ flame out the majority will turn to fermentable sugars... at least in my experience. I add Maple @ flame out. Maybe a waste but I like to think it's worth it. You can also add maple syrup to secondary, I would cold crash and transfer beer on top of maple syrup in the secondary. I have had good results as far as maple flavor using this method.

Edited to add/ disclaimer: I keg and don't worry at all about bottle bombs, obviously adding a high dose of maple syrup and then trying to naturally carb in the bottle by adding yeast would be a bad idea = bottle bombs.

I like the cold crash secondary, and I was thinking about priming with maple as well if its a fermentable sugar, just no additional yeast. Maybe 1/2 -2/3 of a cup for 5 gallons

I looked at it in the Misc. ingredietns section of Beersmith. It says adding it to boil = woody flavour, while adding it at bottling will produce more aroma/natural maple flavour, iirc.

I was going to add it to a Porter I made recently, but opted to keep it au natural as it was delicous on it's own.

I looked at it in the Misc. ingredietns section of Beersmith. It says adding it to boil = woody flavour, while adding it at bottling will produce more aroma/natural maple flavour, iirc.

I was going to add it to a Porter I made recently, but opted to keep it au natural as it was delicous on it's own.

Should i use it in place of priming sugar to carbonate? Any hop recommendations?

You could (or so I have read) but I'm not sure if you would need to sanitize somehow first ( heating it with a bit of water or double boiler) like you would with priming sugar. I'm sure it's been addressed already and a quick search should be able to tell you.

Back