Vanilla flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yankeehillbrewer

Reaction score
So this is a new one on me. I Cracked open one of my Blonde Ales last night and it had a very noticable Vanilla/Creamy flavor to it. It wasn't unpleasant , but caught me by surprise. Here's the recipe, it's very simple..

8lbs 2 Row
1/2 oz Chinook at 60mins
1/2 oz Chinook at 30mins
1 oz Saaz at 5 mins
Wyeast American Ale(Washed)

I mashed at 150* for an hour, and used 5.2 Stabilzer for the first time in this recipe. Pitched a 1 pint starter and Fermented in Primary for 4 weeks, the last week was cold crashed out on the porch. It did ferment a touch warm at times, the room got to about 74 a couple days. Bottled with 2/3 cup of cane sugar, and left it for 3 weeks. I usually use Wyeast 2565 Kolsch in this recipe, and typically prime with Corn Sugar.

I'm not terribly concerned about this, I just find it to be a bit odd. I'm curious if any one has had this come up in their brews , and what it might be from?

Thanks in advance

I wonder if it could be the priming sugar you used? Not sure if it would give it a vanilla flavor.

So I'm sampling another one now, I wish I was better at explaining these tastes. It has a fruity aroma, is pretty sweet when it hits my tongue, then I get that Vanilla-ish flavor for just a second and then it's a little bitter on the back end. It actually kind of reminds of drinking a dry white wine. I read my FG at .998. I think it's just that the American Ale yeast has brought out some different flavors that I'm not used to. I think I'll be sticking my usual yeast on this one.

Such a simple recipe really brings out the esters. The yeast can be a bit fruity at such a high ferment temp. Not that it is always a bad thing, in this case it sounds good!

I've always found it interesting how just couple little tweaks, and you get a completely different beer that is from essentially the same recipe. That's why I love this hobby, you can tinker to no end.

So I'm sampling another one now, I wish I was better at explaining these tastes. It has a fruity aroma, is pretty sweet when it hits my tongue, then I get that Vanilla-ish flavor for just a second and then it's a little bitter on the back end. It actually kind of reminds of drinking a dry white wine. I read my FG at .998. I think it's just that the American Ale yeast has brought out some different flavors that I'm not used to. I think I'll be sticking my usual yeast on this one.

FG of .998 seems really wrong. Are you reading the right scale on your hydrometer? .998 means your beer is less dense than water...

I think you're tasting bottling sugar, honestly. That would give the vanilla flavor. And if there's some fruit notes in there, the fermentation likely got a little warm. Remember that 74 ambient can mean 77-78 degrees or more in your fermenter because fermentation produces heat.

FG of .998 seems really wrong. Are you reading the right scale on your hydrometer? .998 means your beer is less dense than water...

I think you're tasting bottling sugar, honestly. That would give the vanilla flavor. And if there's some fruit notes in there, the fermentation likely got a little warm. Remember that 74 ambient can mean 77-78 degrees or more in your fermenter because fermentation produces heat.

Well I took the reading in the carboy, and was having a hardtime getting a good look at the numbers. But if i was a little smarter I would have figured out .998 has to be wrong, I've been brewing long enough I should know that. Anyhow, just took another reading the proper way and got 1.008, it's probably not perfectly accurate because of the carbonation and all, but close enough.

Back