Vanilla extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sputnam

Reaction score
I'm getting some vanilla beans today. My plan was to add them to secondary but while researching, I came across a make your own extract recipe. I like that idea better add I could just add that to individual bottles. I used an almond extract before and it absolutely ruined my beer, so I am a little leery on extracts. What (if any) differences are there in using homemade vanilla extract vs store bought vs whole bean?

Store bought is probably the worst option as there will likely be preservatives and other junk in them that you don't want in your beer.

Homemade vs whole bean may not matter as much, but you'll be adding liquor to your beer if going the extract route so just keep that in mind when formulating your recipe

Just split, scrape and cut the beans into pieces. Put all of it (especially the scrapings) in a sealed clean jar and add enough vodka or rum to just cover them. Let it sit at least 5 days then add the whole jar into the fermenter for the last few days. I have used as many as 5 but found 3 beans to be optimum.

Option 2 is to do the same thing but filter out the beans and just add the vodka/rum tincture directly to the bottling bucket or keg.

That's close to what I do for my vanilla porter. I split & scrape 2 beans, putting the scraped paste into a small jar, like 3" tall mayo-shaped jar. Then cut the beans into 1" pieces & toss those in too. Then cover with vodka if you don't want liquor flavor, or rum/bourbon if you do. Just enough to cover the paste/beans. Then screw the lid on tight. I do this at the beginning of primary & let it sit by the computer till primary is done & settle out clear or slightly misty. I prefer to use a coffee filter in a funnel to filter it into the priming solution & add it that way.

Latest posts

Back