Vanilla Extract Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polkahero

Reaction score
I would like to add vanilla extract to half of my latest porter brew. I have pure vanilla extract from Mexico (quality stuff) but it doesn't contain any alcohol which I've read on here acts as a sanitizer. I also have imitation vanilla extract containing alcohol, but from what I've read on here using pure extract would yield better results. Would it be okay to add an ounce or so of the pure extract to the bottling bucket as is or should it be sanitized first? If so, how to sanitize?

As wort becomes beer, the pH lowers and alcohol increases, both of which have some sanitizing properties. There's definitely more alcohol in your whole batch than in 1oz of vanilla extract, so once it's in the beer, the alcohol (or lack of) in the vanilla shouldn't be an issue either way.

I think you're more likely to get a bug from your measuring device than the vanilla itself.

FWIW I use bourbon if I want a bit of vanilla flavor.

I would like to add vanilla extract to half of my latest porter brew. I have pure vanilla extract from Mexico (quality stuff) but it doesn't contain any alcohol which I've read on here acts as a sanitizer. I also have imitation vanilla extract containing alcohol, but from what I've read on here using pure extract would yield better results. Would it be okay to add an ounce or so of the pure extract to the bottling bucket as is or should it be sanitized first? If so, how to sanitize?
Use the real stuff; if brewing beer is anything like in cooking/baking, the less chemical components in your food/drink, the better it's going to taste.

Is the extract a liquid? If so, then I can almost guarantee you that it's primarily alcohol. That's how they make extracts, as far as I know. Just dump it in there and you'll be fine.

Is the extract a liquid? If so, then I can almost guarantee you that it's primarily alcohol. That's how they make extracts, as far as I know. Just dump it in there and you'll be fine.

It is liquid but it says right on the bottle that there is no alcohol or preservatives added.

I have used pure vanilla extract before in a strong porter. It turned out really good. I added to a secondary and let it sit for about a week and then kegged. I don't recall how much I used off hand...

And I didn't sanitize the vanilla. But an easy way to sanitize would be to mix the vanilla with some vodka for a bit before the addition.

I was thinking 4-6oz for a 5 gal batch should yield some decent flavor.

Wow, that sounds likes too much. From what I've read on here, most guys use around an ounce per 5 gallon batch. I'm just looking for a hint of flavor, nothing overpowering.

You can get Pure Vanilla Extract (containing alcohol) at your local grocery store :) I see it for 4 - 5 bucks for a bottle.

You can get Pure Vanilla Extract (containing alcohol) at your local grocery store :) I see it for 4 - 5 bucks for a bottle.

Just went to Sams Club and picked up a bottle of pure vanilla extract for around 2$. Im planning on using about 1-2 and a half ounces on a Porter Im Brewing up soon. This is exactly the thread I have been looking for...If anyone has exact amounts of what they have used for extract and the flavor profile they got from it that would help.

Thanks

I just looked up my notes, and I used 6tsp (1oz) of vanilla in a 6 gallon batch.

The vanilla was definitely noticeable, More-so in the smell than the taste, but the flavor was present. I think I might try 1.5oz next time to compare. A little goes a long way. Also I was concerned with head retention, but it turned out fine.

I just looked up my notes, and I used 6tsp (1oz) of vanilla in a 6 gallon batch.

The vanilla was definitely noticeable, More-so in the smell than the taste, but the flavor was present. I think I might try 1.5oz next time to compare. A little goes a long way. Also I was concerned with head retention, but it turned out fine.

thanks for this. I'll most likely stick with 1oz. I'll be happy with just the smell and a little flavor...If you can smell it people will most likely taste it...Or think they do. Ill let you know how it turns out. :mug:

Get a graduated medicine dropper, or better a pipette.

Measure out 100 ml of wort and add very small amounts of vanilla until it tastes right, do the math and add the right amount to the batch.

It's better to do this with carbonated beer, but if you are bottle conditioning this is the best you can use.

I use Neilsen Massey which is high quality but an alcohol extraction. An ounce in 5 gallons is pretty noticeable, but it's hard to give advice about your product which was apparently produced in a different way and may be much more or less concentrated.

Good timing on this post, Polka! I racked my stout to a secondary 2 days ago, and took a sample reading. It has a very strong coffee flavor and aroma, which isn't bad, but I was hoping for that part to be a bit mellower. I actually didn't think to add any vanilla to it, but after having some Atwater Vanilla Java Porter this weekend, I think that is what is missing.

Seeing how I transferred it 2 days ago, is it too late to add some vanilla extract to the carboy?

I also suggest a good metered pipette. Even one of the cheap small ones that have .25ml markings. I did only 10ml in a batch of pumpkin ale for a very tiny hint. It's so tiny you cannot pick out vanilla on its own but I know a difference in a bottle I capped prior to adding the vanilla.

I put 3 oz of extract in a 5.5 gallon batch of vanilla bourbon porter.. DEFINITELY noticable.

My last two batches of vanilla porter were made with only vanilla beans. I did not sanitize them whatsoever before I added them to secondary and they turned out fine. I would not worry about sanitizing the pure vanilla extract if I were you.

This year's batch of vanilla is almost finished.

1 bottle of vodka and 12 dried vanilla beans. Drink 2 shots of the vodka to make room. Split the beans down the center, and dump them in the bottle. Place in a dark cabinet that you visit regularly, and give it a shake every time you see it. A couple months later, you'll have some of the best vanilla on hand. The beans last up to 2 years, so just top off the vodka when you're half way finished.

Great discussion. Here are a few facts about vanilla that might interest you...

A: Don't buy cheap or artificial vanilla, and don't get ripped off. Online stores have a huge selection of premium vanilla for prices a lot lower than the markets in town.

B: Vanilla Extract - There are many varieties but two main ones are imitation and real. Imitation is usually clear and often times does not contain alcohol. Real vanilla extract should be dark brown and made with at least 35% alcohol. Some extracts have sugar, others do not. For beer, I suggest finding 100% pure, no sugar added, vanilla extract.

C: Vanilla Beans - there are many different types, each with different flavors. I would contact a store that specializes in vanilla (like beanilla.com mentioned about) to help find the specific flavor you are looking for. Also, don't buy whole beans at the super market where the price can be up to $10 each. Beanilla has them for $1-2 each. When adding to beer, be sure the slice the bean in half lengthwise to expose the paste that is inside the bean. This is where most vanilla flavor is located in a bean and it needs to be in contact with your beer.

D: Homemade Vanilla - Do this for your wife immediately before purchasing your next big piece of brewing equipment. The FDA has a requirement for vanilla extract which equals about 5 beans per 8 ounces alcohol. Any less than this ratio will result simply in flavored vodka (great on the rocks w/ ginger ale). Split the beans in half lengthwise and toss them in your jar. Be sure all the of the beans are covered in alcohol and seal tightly. Store at room-temp and out of direct sunlight. Shake gently every 2-4 days. After 6-8 weeks you will be ready to go.

Back