Vanilla Bourbon Black Ale, major screw up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnerhaus

Reaction score
So I brewed a black ale and added 2 vanilla beans and a pint of Woodford Reserve to the secondary and after racking it on top of that I noticed I've got about 5.5 gallons of what is supposed to be a 5 gallon batch. FG is 1.010-1.011 and its supposed to be around 1.013. Did I majorly screw up and will this probably just taste like watered down whiskey? Will I need to add extra priming sugar to make up for the extra volume?

Watered down? No. That little point difference you won't notice. It might have more of a dry taste but I don't think you'd be able to tell.

So I brewed a black ale and added 2 vanilla beans and a pint of Woodford Reserve to the secondary and after racking it on top of that I noticed I've got about 5.5 gallons of what is supposed to be a 5 gallon batch. FG is 1.010-1.011 and its supposed to be around 1.013. Did I majorly screw up and will this probably just taste like watered down whiskey? Will I need to add extra priming sugar to make up for the extra volume?

Short answer: You're fine. Bottle and enjoy. Those "errors" are pretty common and not going to have a substantial effect on the final product.

D'oh! This is BAD. VERY BAD. You do not have the facilities to properly dispose of the mess you've made. I highly recommend shipping this beer to me for proper disposal . . .

So this black ale with vanilla and WR...any way we could inspect the recipe further? You know...for research purposes...

So this black ale with vanilla and WR...any way we could inspect the recipe further? You know...for research purposes...

Sure...

3/4 lb Pale Ale Malt
8 oz De-Bittered Black Malt
8 oz Crystal 90L
5 oz Chocolate Malt
5 lb Amber LME
2 lb Amber DME
3/4 oz Galena @ 60 min
1/4 oz Galena @ 15 minutes
Windsor Ale dry yeast
OG: 1.051
FG: 1.013
1 week in primary, rack on top of 1 Pint Woodford Reserve and 2 vanilla beans chopped and scraped. 2 weeks in secondary.

Funny thing with home brewing is, "errors" like that have as much chance of making the beer BETTER than worse. I can't tell you how many screw ups I've tried to duplicate because the batch was awesome...

Back