Vanilla Beans

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

1Brotherbill

Reaction score
How much fermentalble material is in a vanilla bean? I put one vanilla bean in the secondary of one of my batches and I noticed today that the yeasties are going crazy on the vanilla bean parts.

Bush_84

Reaction score
Anybody know the bean to gal of mead ratio? (sorry this doesn't answer the OP question, but I thought it related enough to ask)

TheRabidKumquat

Reaction score
Would depend on how much vanilla presence you'd want. I usually see recipes calling for 1 or 2 beans. How much exposure time will also affect the flavor extraction.

Tusch

Reaction score
Do one or two beans split and scraped per gallon and than taste it as it goes. When it reaches a level you like rack off the beans. Keep in mind that the vanilla will mellow and blend even more than many other spices so you may want to "over-vanilla" and let it age out.

TobaVanilla

Reaction score
Average yeast content in vanilla beans is about 10, cfu/gr, depending on the type of curing process, yeast content can vary from one to another. When vanilla beans are processed using a natural fermentation, sun curing, wrapped in a plastic bag and dried out in the sun, it will result a low yeast content. Some vanilla beans processor have a different way of fermenting the beans. To know more of how vanilla beans processed from the very beginningn please visit our website: www.tobavanilla.com or our blog: http://tobavanillabeans.blogspot.com/ should you have further questions, please feel free to email me: [email protected]

Latest posts