Vanilla Beans and long term storage

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

frogguruami

Reaction score
I have a Tangerine Mead going right now that is heavily spiced. It has already had two spice additions and vanilla beans were going to be the next and final addition when I racked it for storage until fall when it would be bottled. The problem is, I really need to free up a carboy in the next week or so. So I am considering dropping a vanilla bean in each wine bottle and bottling it now. It is not ideal but...

My question is, are there any off flavors I will have to worry about with the vanilla bean being (for all intents and purposes) permanently in the bottle. It there going to be some funky (in a bad way) flavor in 1, 3, 5, 10 years??

TIA

stromam

Reaction score
I think your biggest problem is going to be overpowering vanilla, but I have read that it will mellow out much quicker than other spices. I would consider splitting the beans and adding 1/2 to each bottle.

OP
frogguruami

frogguruami

Reaction score
I think your biggest problem is going to be overpowering vanilla, but I have read that it will mellow out much quicker than other spices. I would consider splitting the beans and adding 1/2 to each bottle.
Thanks for the response! So you don't think the bean would develop any bitterness over time??

Fletch78

Reaction score
I haven't used vanilla bean before. Could you just add it now, and in "a week or so" you might have a decent amount of flavor to bottle it. Or, since you only have "a week or so", double up the amount of vanilla?

stromam

Reaction score
Thanks for the response! So you don't think the bean would develop any bitterness over time??
I don't think it will, if there was any bittering compounds they would probably be leached out within the first couple months (which is what everyone does at least).