Valentine's Day...a success story of true love

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedlam

Reaction score
I have not historically been a big fan of valentines day...such a crock, actually. Just another marketing plot to cheapen something special in order to make a buck, and at the expense of setting expectations to a level that anything less than a picture-perfect day is disappointing. It is a sucker set-up, for.sure.

So El Hubbo and I decided long ago to "stick it to the man" and do things or own way, spending our money on couples projects for VD...things that we would buy eventually anyway, but attaching our own significance both to the day and to the project by having it symbolize our partnership in a concrete way that is special to us. It is funny how since we made that decision, things have fallen in our lap at the right time for this.

It happened again this year. Howard found a smoking deal on a gas/firebox/smoker combo, perfect for our use. Score number one!

Damned if not two days later, a colleague who is a hobby farmer didn't offer me a quarter of his best Charloais steer, which is going to slaughter next week! I couldn't believe it...this isn't your average beef. He treats his cattle better than some of us treat our spouses. It is truly melt-in-your-mouth goodness. Score number two!

I'm stoked! We are going in together on the grill and beef for this year's expression of eternal love. Take that, Hallmark! Suck it, overpriced flowers and ugly useless jewelry!

We are going in together on the grill and beef for this year's expression of eternal love.

Nothing, and I say NOTHING, makes a statement of true love like an aged slab of Charolais beef.

And who said homebrewers were not sentimental ?

This really touched my heart. Seriously I just got a bit of ash out of the woodstove in my eye, I'm not gettin' teary eyed.

Nothin' like a piece of great meat on Valentine's day! Wait, that didn't sound right.

Actually, very similar to what my wife and I do for Christmas and Valentine's day. Good for you!

I have not historically been a big fan of valentines day...such a crock, actually. Just another marketing plot to cheapen something special in order to make a buck, and at the expense of setting expectations to a level that anything less than a picture-perfect day is disappointing. It is a sucker set-up, for.sure.

So El Hubbo and I decided long ago to "stick it to the man" and do things or own way, spending our money on couples projects for VD...things that we would buy eventually anyway, but attaching our own significance both to the day and to the project by having it symbolize our partnership in a concrete way that is special to us. It is funny how since we made that decision, things have fallen in our lap at the right time for this.

It happened again this year. Howard found a smoking deal on a gas/firebox/smoker combo, perfect for our use. Score number one!

Damned if not two days later, a colleague who is a hobby farmer didn't offer me a quarter of his best Charloais steer, which is going to slaughter next week! I couldn't believe it...this isn't your average beef. He treats his cattle better than some of us treat our spouses. It is truly melt-in-your-mouth goodness. Score number two!

I'm stoked! We are going in together on the grill and beef for this year's expression of eternal love. Take that, Hallmark! Suck it, overpriced flowers and ugly useless jewelry!

I like the way you think & the sentiment is truly priceless...
You got a sister? :D

Back