Vacuuming oxygen from a sight glass on conical fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmegoodbeer

Reaction score
Hello all,

i have created a way to vacuum out oxygen from an empty sight glass that is being used as a trub collector and yeast harvester. Using the vacuum sealer I use to vacuum mason jars for hops and a connector, I vacuum oxygen and then purge with CO2. This seems to work great! Check out the video. Cheers!

Last edited:
Hello all,

i have created a way to vacuum out oxygen from an empty sight glass that is being used as a trub collector and yeast harvester. Using the vacuum sealer I use to vacuum mason jars for hops and a connector, I vacuum oxygen and then purge with CO2. This seems to work great! Check out the video. Cheers!

Great use of the vacuum sealer! I'm not very knowledgeable about conicals and all that, but would it be possible to put hops pellets in that chamber to 'dose' the beer toward the end of fermentation? I dunno if they would float up into the beer when the valve is opened...

Great use of the vacuum sealer! I'm not very knowledgeable about conicals and all that, but would it be possible to put hops pellets in that chamber to 'dose' the beer toward the end of fermentation? I dunno if they would float up into the beer when the valve is opened...
Probably not.
There's usually a couple inches of trub and yeast cake in the cone. I doubt anything could rise through it.

A lot of people put a similar sight glass /butterfly set up on one of the tri clamp ports on top of the conical/ unitank for this purpose. The best way to dry hop IMO.

A lot of people put a similar sight glass /butterfly set up on one of the tri clamp ports on top of the conical/ unitank for this purpose. The best way to dry hop IMO.
THIS^

works best if you seal up the tank with a few points left before you dry hop. put your hops in. hit it with the vacuum. crack the valve just a tiny bit to get some of that pure co2 into the sight glass.

lather.rinse.repeat.

best way to get as close to 0ppb oxygen as we can.

What are the benefits of doing it this way as compared to just leaving the valve open (if you have a valve) at the top of the sight glass when you initially fill the conical with wort? The trub/yeast collect in the sight glass and I just dump/collect from there...

when you eventually open the valve to dump, you'll get a big air bubble running up through your wort and then sitting in your headspace. air= oxidation. especially bad when dumping your dry hops. (if you dump them)

Back